Pages

23 April 2011

Weird and Exotic Fruit Continued

Ok, so that random fruit and veg has been hanging out in the kitchen for a couple of days now but I can confirm that Mystical Roo and I have officially tried it.  Well some of it.  We haven't, as yet, tackled the weird green vegetable.  We have now established this is called a Choko.  I don't know if this is the correct spelling but this is how it sounds.  This is definitely the least appetising of the weird and random fruit.  I've already been told it tastes like a watery squash and that when I peel it (it needs peeling apparently) I should wear gloves so as to protect my hands from the weird sticky substance inside.  Nice.  Needless to say this is the one we've been less enthusiastic to try.  We've not even sure what to do with it to be honest, though I think boiling would be the way to go.  So we've got a random green vegetable that looks kind of impenetrable, tastes like not much, has a sticky substance that you shouldn't get on your hands and is called a Choko.  I guess it's no wonder one doesn't see these things in Woolworths all that often.  Woolworths know what the public want.  And apparently it's not a Choko.  But still.  The other weird fruit, we've actually tried but have yet to name.  I was told again what these things were called but forgot almost instantly.  I should have written it down but I got distracted by chocolate biscuits.  So, Mystical Roo and I tried this nameless fruit last night whilst watching a random film about Monsters which wasn't really about Monsters (but that's another story).  We cut it open like we would a passion fruit.  Chopped it in half and then scooped out the insides.  This nameless fruit was actually very nice.  It did remind me of passion fruit though certainly had a more bitter taste.  Not a bad bitter.  I think if I could remember what the damned things were called I'd buy some more.  They got the thumbs up from both of us.  So there you have it fans of weird and random fruit.  We have a Choko that remains unexplored but an unnamed fruit that has been tasted but unidentified.  I'm sure we'll get round to trying this choko or at least finding another use for it.  Like throwing it at hoons.  Or planting in next door's garden.  Choko report to follow.  Stalky out. 

4 comments:

  1. You really should get the Choko some false teeth, it would look a lot more appetising then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The red fruit is Tamarillo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Tamarillo. Tamarillo. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep fruit is known coll as a tree tomato and the VEG DEFINITELY needs cooking before consumption - they r lovely in veg pckles and we used to hav it prep in an ind way but if u google it there are some interesting recipes out there...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...