Pages

29 July 2011

The Basil is Actually, Properly Dead Now

I've probably given it away with the title of this post haven't I.  Yes, the basil plant has officially snuffed it.  He's dead.  He's gone.  The basil plant has gone to the big compost bin in the sky.  Actually he's gone into the little compost bin on my balcony.  And most of you sensible folk knew it would happen.  You knew that the basil plant just wasn't meant to survive the winter.  I conceded that he'd gone when I realised that he was totally black.  The new bit of growth had shrivelled into nothing and the bit that had previously been green had gone brown.  Not a good sign.  I made the sad decision that the basil plant should join the chilli plant and become part of the compost mix.  I didn't like doing it but I did it anyway. And now the basil plant is in pieces at the bottom of the compost bin.  I'll just have to focus on Spring and the new basil plants that it will bring.  I won't forgot my first basil plant.  I feel happy knowing that one day, he may even contribute to the health of a new basil plant.  Slightly sinister?  Perhaps.  But this is the world of plants people.  They have different rules.

2 comments:

  1. Gardening is full of highs and lows. Each year brings different problems but it still very rewarding. I am looking forward to meeting the new Basil in November.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...