Pages

14 January 2011

What Zebra Crossing?

My close encounter on the zebra crossing yesterday got me thinking about other recent close encounters.  It seems to me that of recent, either I've become invisible or people have totally forgotten the rules of the zebra crossing.  Now I've never been one to just wander out into the road and assume people will stop, but as the crazy lady proved yesterday, even when someone has stopped for you, it doesn't mean they won't try and run you over when you're half way across.  Both Mystical Roo and I have stared in disbelief as people just speed straight over the zebra crossing, seemingly oblvious to the people crossing, the people waiting, the people flying over the bonnet of their vehicle.  On a particularly long zebra crossing I stopped halfway across, aware that the people carrier heading towards me wasn't slowing down.  I stopped and sure enough the people carrier didn't stop.  The woman inside the car was so busy leaning over and saying something to her child that she'd failed to notice that she'd gone speeding over a zebra crossing.  She wasn't even looking at the road.  I've seen several people on their mobile phones, chatting away, so distracted that they just ignore the black and white stripes on the road.  One guy came speeding up so fast that I was sure he wasn't going to stop.  He screeched to a halt in front of the zebra crossing before shooting me a look and waving his hand at me impatiently.  He seemed shocked that I hadn't just started walking.  Well frankly, I didn't trust his driving to just step out into the road.  Anyone who has to screech to a halt in front of a zebra crossing obviously isn't paying attention.  You might think your driving is great, but I beg to differ.  If you don't mind, I'd rather not place my life in your hands.  Some people stare at you if you want to cross as if you're the one in the wrong.  How dare you make them stop?  I've just learnt that there are some seriously bad drivers out there and I never cross until the car has stopped.  You just can't guarantee that they've seen you.  And that's good for me, but what about the kid that goes to cross the road and just assumes the car will stop?  There are some drivers out there I'd really love to have a conversation with.  If you're behind the wheel of a car you really need to pay attention and take responsibility for the machine you're controlling.  If you can't even stop for a zebra crossing then I'm nervous sharing the road with you!

2 comments:

  1. If Zebras only knew what trouble they caused in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were you wearing your black and white striped t-shirt?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...