Pages

06 December 2011

Meet Watson

Surf instructing dude hanging out
with the Watson - I'm somewhere
attached to the leg rope
I mentioned a while ago that I tried surfing for the very first time.  Well now it seems that I'm a fully fledged surfer!  Not really, I can't even stand up properly.  But I do now own my own wetsuit and more importantly my own Watson, I mean surfboard.  Yes everyone, I have a surfboard and I named him Watson.  I'm not really sure what the inspiration was for the name.  Maybe it was the fact that we'd just been watching an episode of Sherlock.  Maybe it was because Wilson was too obvious.  Maybe it doesn't matter.  Maybe it's just plain weird that I feel the need to name inanimate objects.  Either way, Watson is now Watson and is subsequently introduced to fellow surfers as Watson.  Watson hit me on the head the other day but I forgave him because he's Watson.  I'm pretty sure both Mystical Roo and Monster Noggin see Watson as less of a surfboard and more of a Watson.  The only time I didn't introduce Watson as Watson was when we had a surf lesson on the weekend.  I really didn't want the surf instructors to think I was some kind of fruit loop.  I merely announced that I had brought my own surfboard as I wanted to get used to my own board.  And my, did Watson ever get some compliments.  Watson got so many compliments that I was immediately ashamed that I had not introduced him as Watson.  He was getting so much attention.  A beauty of a board!  A nice bit of kit.  Well waxed!  I had to confess that Mystical Roo had done the waxing and not I.  I then had to confess that Mystical Roo had selected the surfboard and not I.  I can simply take credit for the naming of the Watson, for which I did not take any credit because I didn't tell them that I'd named him Watson.  Oh Watson, the adventures we shall have.  Watson is an 8ft softboard (handy when it smacks you in the face).  He's white and has two blue racing stripes.  Those are his go faster stripes.  He has a blue leg rope and matches my blue and black wetsuit.  Watson and I take style very seriously.  Watson and I have been out on the waves a few times now and I actually think I'm seeing progress.  The surf lesson was an excellent decision and - even though it was blowing a gale and pouring with rain (it's meant to be summer!!!) - we learnt a hell of a lot.  This is the mantra that now runs through my head - ahem - paddle, paddle, paddle, WAVE, paddle three more times, push up, turn the leg,  shift the other leg forward, head up, attempt to stand.  I can sort of stand but certainly not for any length of time.  I'm not as good as Monster Noggin or Mystical Roo.  But I hope to be almost as good one day.  Did you know that Mystical Roo is now so good that he can summon dolphins.  Oh yes, Mystical Roo has been surfing with the dolphins.  And the most frustrating thing?  It was only about five minutes after Monster Noggin and I left the sea in search of warm towels.  That'll teach us for searching for warm towels.

3 comments:

  1. Aren't there water dwelling, Watson chewing, sharks in Oz? I'd paint it with mustard if I was you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...