Pages

13 April 2012

Little Stalky and the Bus Driver

The latest addition to my adventures has been venturing out by bus.  It's not like I've never been on a bus before but I'll confess that it's been a while.  The last place I lived had one bus a day and no one knew where it went so catching the bus anywhere wasn't really an option.  Living in the city is like bus heaven.  There are buses everywhere.  Not only that they're ridiculously regular and keep running after 6pm.  Amazing!  So I've been on the bus quite a few times now and have only once got it wrong.  But once was enough and now I obsessively quiz the driver to ensure I'm on the correct bus.  I was caught off guard the other day when the bus driver quizzed me.  He was a cheery fellow and as I hopped aboard he asked why I hadn't caught the earlier bus, the bus that had turned up just a few minutes before the bus I was on.  I must confess that I was somewhat baffled.  A)  How could the bus driver know where I was going and B)  How could the bus driver possibly know that I'd opted to ignore the earlier bus.  As it turns out the bus driver had assumed I was going into the city centre (it must have been the suit) and had been driving in the opposite direction and seen me sat at the bus stop.  Permanently punctual, I fear being late and so will arrive at the bus stop a good fifteen minutes before I need to be there.  Any hoo, I regaled the bus driver with the tale of my getting on the wrong bus and he was sympathetic.  He happily talked me through the various different stops, the different ticket types and how to know which side of the road you should be stood on.  When we arrived at my stop, with me already an hour early for my appointment, the bus driver offered to take me on a ten minute tour so that I could get a better idea of where everything was.  Now this - I think - was very kind of him but I was very aware that I was the only one left on the bus and didn't think it prudent to be taking ten minute tours with bus drivers.  I'm fairly sure it was innocent but you can never be too careful.  I thanked him for his time but declined the offer.  I hope I didn't hurt his feelings!

2 comments:

  1. Bus Driver Dude? I can see a whole new topic being hatched!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeh - bus driver dude! What a kind and friendly guy. You'll be an expert on bus procedure now - no worries.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...