Pages

09 November 2011

Little Stalky Goes Shabby Chic

I'm always on the look out for a bargain and with a couple of VIPs headed our way I thought I'd kit out the spare room with a few things.  One of the things we wanted was a chest of drawers so when someone at work said they were getting rid of a set I jumped at the opportunity to take them off their hands.  I had no idea what they looked like but I figured they'd be good for something.  So Mystical Roo, the ute and I went and collected these chest of drawers.  They were of decent size, white gloss paint with horrible handles designed for kids.  We decided we would sand that beast down, get ourselves some new handles and create a "shabby chic" look that's all the rage at the moment.  I penned a date to head into the warehouse, accompanied Mystical Roo to said warehouse and then realised I'd left the chest of drawers at home.  Doh!  I then had to return to collect the drawers, stopping off to collect Ammy as the muscle.  Once the drawers were loaded onto the back of the ute I promptly headed over to Bunnings (like B&Q) for new handles and some sand paper.  Coarse sand paper. I did a lot of poking to make sure I got sufficiently coarse sandpaper.  But I also avoided the sand paper that indicated I would need goggles, mask and - really random - ear protection.  Whoever heard of noisy sand paper.  Not I!  Any hoo I returned to the warehouse where Mystical Roo helped to trim my handles to the appropriate length.  Then I set about sanding the chest of drawers.  Obviously I had totally underestimated the amount of muscle required to sand down a chest of drawers by hand.  It's not easy people!  Not easy at all.  It takes a long time and you get a sore back and everything.  The side bits are fairly easy but the top, covered in gloss paint, was a mission.  I even got out a little chisel at one point to give my "shabby chic" look a helping hand.  It was hard work, it took all day and by the end of it both me and the dog were covered in white dust.  But I wasn't half pleased with the results.  And so was Mystical Roo.  We had achieved our "shabby chic" look and a new chest of drawers, all for the price of a new set of handles and some sandpaper.  Not bad, even if I do say so myself.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure your guests will be mightily impressed. (It will accommodate my shabby chic lingerie very well.) Who said big white drawers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. THE DOG? This is the first I've heard of a DOG. Or is this how you refer to a certain someone when he's not around?

    ReplyDelete
  3. But you must have heard of the dog. He's the one that made friends with the postie. He's not our dog. He's Bob-A-Roony's dog. But he comes into work. He's a big black lab. He took on the appearance of a badger after hanging out with me and the chest of drawers...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...