Pages

02 November 2011

Surfing Stalky


Last weekend I succumbed to peer pressure and took to the waves on a massive surf board.  Ok, there wasn't that much peer pressure but I was a little nervous.  Waves are big and scary and have a tendency to send me tumbling.  But on Sunday the skies were blue, the sun was shining and Monster Noggin very kindly leant me her wetsuit and her surfboard so that I could give it a go and see what I thought.  My main thought was how very much I felt like a teletubby whilst wearing the wetsuit.  My second though was how annoying the teletubby theme tune is.  My third thought was how difficult it was to get the teletubby theme tune out of my head.  Then I focused on the task at hand.  The board was massive.  The board continues to be massive.  But it's the ideal size for a learner and is soft so that it doesn't matter so much if you head butt it.  Which I did.  The board started it!  Anyway, Mystical Roo was my guide and he led me into the water where I immediately got scared.  But I only went out chest deep and was able to catch the waves from a place where I didn't have to go out of my depth.  Mystical Roo showed me how to lay on the board, how to sit on the board and how to paddle to catch a wave.  Paddle, paddle, paddle, paddle.  There was a lot of paddling.  My balance was a bit squiffy and on more than one occasion I tumbled off to the side before getting anywhere.  I was thrown from that board so many times but it's nowhere near as scary as when you get thrown off the body board.  I guess it's because the board itself doesn't flip with you.  It just bounces off in the opposite direction as you're flung through the air.  At one time I very much felt like a super hero as the board flew backwards and I flew forward, landing with a splat in the water.  I only got bashed on the head once and it really wasn't that bad.  I can confirm that I actually love surfing.  I didn't manage to stand up properly but I think I will.  At some point.  I need to work on my fitness levels because after two hours in the water I was absolutely wrecked.  Not only that, I continued to suffer for about three days after the surf.  Aching shoulders, sore arms and stomach muscles.  I guess surfing will be one way to keep me fit.  So now I've decided that I want my own wetsuit and my own surfboard.  The wetsuit arrived today and I've already been to collect it from the post office.  Now we just need to find me a surfboard. Woo surfing Stalky!

2 comments:

  1. Before you next go surfin', I suggest you listen to 'Break Away' by the Beach Boys, and in the car (en route for the beach) 'Little Deuce Coupe'. That should stop all thoughts of Telly Tubbies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think my knees would get me up on a proper surfboard. I'll just stick with the bodyboard and wait for a big wave to spit me onto the beach.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...