Pages

03 January 2012

To Wetsuit or Not to Wetsuit

I have the blue one
With summer (finally) here, Monster Noggin, Mystical Roo and I have been doing much surfing.  I'm pleased with the fact that I can pretty much stand up every time and picture myself as a kind of crab as I bend my knees and balance atop a wave.  Pretty soon I'll be doing handstands and everything.  Anyway, with the hot weather we've been less inclined to wear our wetsuits.  Wetsuits are great in the cooler months but when it's thirty degrees outside and the sea temperature is up a wetsuit can seem pretty uninviting.  Smothering almost.  The thing about wetsuits though is they act not only as a kind of insulating blanket but also as a protector of modesty.  You're free to do what you want in a wetsuit without the risk of things falling out or off.  This is probably less of a problem for Mystical Roo but for Monster Noggin and I, the decision to go wetsuitless is a considered one.  Because without  a wetsuit, what do we wear?  I recently opted for my most secure pair of bikini bottoms and a scratch vest.  I must say that not only did everything stay where it should have done, it actually felt quite liberating being in the water without the wetsuit.  I could feel the water on my arms and legs and had more room to move.  To bend and stretch.  To attempt handstands.  I also felt like I was about to slip straight off of Watson.  He needs more wax.  It's no good leaping on the surfboard only to slide straight off the other side.  The only other issue is I now have surf rash.  Sore arms and sore legs where my skin was unprotected.  So it's a tricky one this whole wetsuit business.  It's hard work putting it on and it's hard work taking it off.  It's very hot.  But it does prevent surf rash and helps keep you stuck to your board.  Perhaps I should be in the market for a lighter version, suitable for summer.  Perhaps I should just man it up and stop complaining.

2 comments:

  1. I once ordered a two piece (diving) wetsuit by mail-order. When it arrived I tried it on at once, then found I couldn't get out of it; it had a new system that they'd failed to explain. After an hour or so (desperately hoping no-one would come to the door) I phoned them, and a very simple answer was given to my question. Life eh!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...