Pages

07 June 2010

Gippers: Are They Plotting World Domination?


Maybe world domination is a bit extreme but I certainly think they're going for shopping aisle domination! Gippers. A word penned, I believe, by Rabby. This refers to members of the older generation who somehow manage to always be blocking access to something, be that the pavement, a shopping aisle, the fast lane or a shelf. Now I feel the need to clarify that Gippers are a specific breed within the older generation much like "hoodies" are a specific breed within the teenage generation. Not everyone is a Gipper. Any hoo, I got to thinking about Gippers on a recent early morning mission for teabags. I realised they were out in force and up to their usual tricks of parking trollies diagonally across the aisles and subtly changing course in front of you just as you're about to scuttle on past. Cunning. Then, heading out of the shopping centre there was a Gipper with a pram, walking parallel to me but somehow heading towards me. She was fairly speedy and got ahead of me just to stop right in front of me. There was almost a collision. An innocent mistake? Or another point for the Gipper initiative. Hmmm. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been taken out by a Gipper. In fact Rabby has discussed the times he's been thwarted by a Gipper. And they're not just lurking in shopping aisles. Oh no. They'll get you in the middle of the street if you're not careful. Do you really need that walking stick? Or is it just a convenient tool for the tripping up of passing feet? And why is it when I'm stuck behind you on the road, as soon as I go to over take, you speed up? Mind games. I wonder who their leader is.........

1 comment:

  1. I remember the old gippers in their mobility scooters in Wells. They were definitely out for the kill, charging along at high speed so that you had to jump off the pavement to avoid being run over. And then slowing down and completely blocking the aisles in the shops. Mind you, I think Big Bunny could be turning into a gipper...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...