Pages

13 October 2011

Little Stalky's Spring Garden

I thought it was about time we had a garden update.  I know you'll all be wondering otherwise.  Oh, Little Stalky, what's happening with the garden.  Oh, Little Stalky, is everything still alive?  Well yes.  Things are looking good.  And as it's a beautiful day today I thought it would be a good time to take a picture.  Especially seeing as how my last photograph was taken in the rain.  You'll notice this photo is actually of good quality.  The reason?  I used Mystical Roo's actual camera, rather than my dodgy camera phone, and it had hand stabilising technology.  Handy.  Tee hee.  Any hoo, check it out.  Little Stalky's spring garden.  The mint has recently been chopped back as Rabby suggested it was a good addition to the compost.  Minty fresh compost.  Yeah.  But mint grows like anything so he'll be back to his bushy self soon enough.  The thyme has flowered this year and it actually seems much healthier for it.  It's less woody than before and seems fuller.  Good work, thyme.  You'll be surprised to hear that the coriander (touch wood) is still very much alive.  I've been poking him daily to check the moisture levels in his soil and watering him accordingly.  I guess we'll just have to see how he does when the really hot weather arrives.  The rosemary is loving his new pot.  He's been upgraded to a white bucket and seems to be growing bigger because of it.  I've learnt that he does not appreciate too much water and after adjustments to his schedule, seems to be thriving.  The chilli plant isn't up to much as yet but you know he'll be doing good things in the summer.  I almost forgot about the parsley, who is hiding behind the rosemary.  You probably can't see him.  Anyway, drama queen that he is I haven't repotted him and he seems fine.  Nice and green, lots of growth.  I like it.  The lemon tree has lots of lemons growing but only one new leaf.  I don't know what he's up to at the moment.  Lots of lemons but a total of three leaves, one of which is new.  Maybe he just needs time.  I bought him some special lemon feed and that seemed to cheer him up.  Both strawberry plants look happy but no strawberries as of yet.  I think they come later in the year.  And look at the size of the tomato plants!  They're getting bigger by the day.  I hope the pots will be big enough for them.  They're already flowering so I think we'll have a good harvest from them.  Now, empty containers I hear you ask.  Yes indeed.  Or not so empty.  Mystical Roo and I recently planted some rocket and some basil in the two long, brown pots on the ledge.  They're started poking their heads through the soil but they both look the same so I have no idea what's growing where.  But there's growth!  And that's the main thing.  In the empty white bucket - next to the lemon tree - I've planted some cottage garden mix, which recently arrived in the post along with a free sample of fertiliser.  Yates garden club this is.  I do like the free stuff.  Anyway, I tend to grow edible stuff but I figured there was no harm in seeing if some pretty flowers would grow.  I could put them in a vase.  They only went in a couple of days ago so no growth from them as yet.  So there we have it.  Little Stalky's spring garden.

3 comments:

  1. Looking good. I think you should get Rabby to build you a large trough or raised bed so you can ditch the plastic pots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are the Kangaroos. Surely you've got Kangaroos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't you see him? He's hiding behind the lemon tree.....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...