Pages

20 March 2012

Little Stalky's Number Seven

I've come to realise that grumpy old men - and I mean grumpy old men very specifically - have major issues with my handwriting.  I'd like to point out that I'm not being sexist, ageist or moodist and I'm not saying it's every grumpy old man out there, but there are certain grumpy old man who have been complaining, to me, about my handwriting.  So you're wondering what this is about?  How is my handwriting causing offence?  It's specifically when I write out access codes for these grumpy old men to use to open the gate.  I give them a six digit number, written in nice bold numbers in a big black marker.  Yes, my handwriting is not the best but these numbers are more than legible.  The main beef (this is a technical term) that they seem to have is with my use of the number seven.  It's because I write my sevens with a cross - you know, the European seven.  I've always done it this way and feels it helps to differentiate between a seven and a one.  The amount of grumpy old men who point this out is getting ridiculous.  They make such a fuss about it that anyone would have thought I'd written in a foreign language.  Just for fun.  The weird thing is that no one else has a problem with my sevens.  Every other person is fine.  It is only the grumpy old men.  They like to use the seven to try and put me down.  They point at it and sneer before questioning what it is.  They look at it, knowing full well it's a seven, before asking rudely why I write my sevens in such a silly manner.  They squint at the card and hold it in my face before demanding to know what number the seven is.  It's a seven!  You fool!  I can accept that perhaps there are people who've never seen a European seven but is there any need to be rude about it.  Do you have to bring attention to the girl standing behind reception just because you disagree with the way she writes her sevens.  Someone even pulled me up on my number two (stop giggling) the other day.  He literally scowled at me and demanded to know what "that" was.  I politely replied that it was a number two, to which he told me it looked nothing like it.  It bloody well did look like a two.  He needed to get his eyes checked.  So I get picked on a lot for my number sevens.  The number two was a one off.  But I refuse to submit to their tactics.  I will write the number seven how I want to write the number seven and I will not conform to their tyrannical, number inhibiting ways.

5 comments:

  1. As a founder member of the Grumpy Old Men Society, I have to tell you that I write the number 7 exactly the same way. I thought everyone did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The number 2 was a one off" - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a grumpy old man who writes the number 7 correctly I think you should come over here and speak on my behalf!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sending Lady Magnon on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a Grumpy Old Man who also crosses his sevens, and has done since...well...since....forever, I feel I must stick up for GOM everywhere. Not all GOM are so blinded by their fastidious ways that they would seek to moan and complain, not when there are so many other things in life just waiting to be moaned about.
    Maybe it is the sub-species Grumpius Homo Moanalotus (1) found in the antipodes that are the culprits and should not be confused with us European Proper Seven-writing Grumpies. A quick survey of the respondents to this page reveals a 100% of Euro-Grumps (when questioned) use the crossed seven.
    I am sure when Lady Magnon arrives in Australia she will find that the Euro-Grumps will help re-dress the balance. (2)
    Even though I always believed the crossing of the 7 to be a French thing, it is nevertheless my inclination since being a young whipper-snapper – a lot of sevens have been crossed since then I can tell you!!
    I am however grateful to Little Stalky for alerting us to this phenomenon and we will all thrust our Crossed Sevens to the fore and say (under our breath) “Come on – dare to question my crossed seven”. Fear not Little Stalky we will prevail, the crossing of the Rubicon (or is it the Rubik cube?) shall pale into insignificance as the Seven Crossing (3) Brigade rise to the cause. We SHALL enter Wales. We will not be denied our rights to cross the Severn.
    Am I getting confused here?

    References
    (1) Charles Darwin: On The Origin of the Species
    (2) Charles Darwin: The Descent of Man and the Crossing of Sevens
    (3) Wye Bridge and Beachley Viaduct, First Severn Crossing

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...