Pages

15 March 2012

Sea Scuzz

I went for a surf on Sunday with Mystical Roo and Monster Noggin and was quite frankly shocked at the state of the ocean.  It was filthy.  It was a beautiful sunny day and normally the water is crystal clear but on Sunday it was brown and muddy.  There was scuzz (an official term) floating on the surface and just foam everywhere.  Mystical Roo and Monster Noggin informed me that this was because of all the rain we'd had.  The rain water collects pollutants off the surface and then it all drains back into the ocean.  A week of heavy rain has therefore caused scuzz and foam.  Disgusting.  But that didn't stop us going in.  Because apparently we're disgusting.  There were so many people out there I figured it couldn't be that bad.  Actually, it was quite rank and after about half an hour I decided to go and sun myself instead.  Unable to get past the waves and out into the deep (because I am too small and weak) I was just getting smashed in the face with wave after wave of foam.  And as much as I tried to keep myself up and on the board the inevitable happened and I went under water.  I went under the foam and face first into the brown murky water.  Nasty.  But not as nasty as the kids who were playing in the foam.  They were rolling in it, picking it up and throwing it, bathing in it.  I took Watson and made a swift exit.  There's really only one place for foam and that's on top of a beer.

3 comments:

  1. Nasty. I can remember playing with the stuff on English rivers when I was small; until someone told me what it was"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can think of another place that Stalky likes a lot of foam. Always combined with a glass of wine, a book and candles. Maybe tomorrow would be a good day for it as it is a very special day in the Stalky year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not always as nasty as it looks. Very often, it is made when algae growth gets stirred up by wiers or waves - in the same way you can use seaweed as gelatine - and is in the water invisibly anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...