Pages

08 October 2010

The Cow Goose Partnership

I don't know if this is something isolated to Australia, but I've honestly never seen it happening back in England.  The thing I'm talking about?  Well that would be the cow and goose friendship that seems to be blossoming across that nation.  And I know you're thinking, that crazy Stalky, what the hell is she on about this time.  I'm talking cows and geese, hanging out together in fields.  But it's not like there's a bunch of cows and geese all chilling in a crowd, no, there is one goose to each cow, or one cow to each goose and they just stand next to each other.  It's a cow and goose partnership!  I first noticed this in one particular field that we drove past on the way to work but now I've seen other new fields where the same thing is happening.  Look there are some cows.  And look there are their geese friends.  What I want to know is what this partnership is all about?  Do cows and geese have something in common that makes them great friends?  Do they both just really like grass?  Or maybe the geese are like cow groupies or something.  Perhaps the cows act as massive bovine body guards to their feathered friends.  All I know is there's one cow, there's one goose and they stand side by side.  One cow.  One goose.  Just innocent cow goose behaviour or is there something more mysterious going on here?  Don't worry Stalky fans, I'll investigate and keep you informed.  Until we discover the secret just keep an eye out.  Where the cow lurketh, so lurketh the goose.

3 comments:

  1. I've had geese, but never cows. Usually this type of relationship is all about FOOD. Where walks the cow, up flies the insect, in comes the bird. Do geese eat cow-disturbed insects? Can't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you got close to it when you mentioned body guards. "Our pair of Toulouse geese hatched four eggs about three weeks ago, and they've been doing great in the cow pasture. We thought the fence was coyote proof. Apparently not. Last night coyotes got in and killed papa goose--probably defending the family--and we can't find any babies. Mama goose is all alone and looking for everyone, but sticking very close to the cows for protection."

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...