Pages

11 October 2010

Little Stalky Doesn't Like Being Shouted At

Today I am pondering the frustrations of working in customer service.  I seem to have worked in some form of customer service related job since I was sixteen and as much as I do enjoy working with people, sometimes I want to throttle the buggers.  You can have days where you come across some really nice folk, people you can chat to and have a laugh with.  Then you have days when you get some evil people who can be downright rude.  And the thing about these rude people are that they're never happy no matter what you do.  Everything can be going perfectly and they're still rude and obnoxious.  Then if something does go wrong they turn into demonic beasts who somehow think they're justified in yelling at the girl behind the counter.  Yet you get other people who will voice their complaints politely and calmly, without turning into foul mouthed chavs who still get their point across just the same.  In fact it's these people who I will go out of my way to help.  The frustrating thing about these people who like to go off on a rant and a rave is it's often their own fault that somethings gone wrong and they just want to blame someone else.  Like booking a room at a holiday park in another state but arriving at ours instead.  That's obviously my fault.  And I must fix it.  And I'm happy to offer my assistance but please don't launch an attack at me for your mistake.  You see these people everywhere and I have to wonder what they actually do for a living themselves.  You find that most people who work in customer service - and a lot of people do - are very polite and understanding when they find themselves the customers as they know how it feels to be on the other side.  So with the majority of people having to deal with people in some capacity I want to know who these shouty folk are and why they feel they have the right to screech at others.  I hope to be a customer amongst the shouty folk one day so that as a customer I can defend the person on the other side of the counter.  A teenage girl who's obviously just started a weekend job does not have the authority to give you your sandwich half price just because you don't want salad.  Don't be impatient with her if she has to ask her supervisor for assistance.  Fussy ladies demanding to split their bills when it clearly states this service is not provided are the real reason you're having to wait in the queue, not because the sales assistant is going too slowly.  We are entitled to a lunch break at some point during the working day so if you have to wait thirty seconds whilst we swap places in what has been the busiest day ever, I'm sure you won't tut and roll your eyes at us.  I'm not saying that there aren't some seriously bad workers out there because there are, I've seen them in Woolworths (joking!), but sometimes people need to be cut a bit of slack.  We're all human and most of us are friendly individuals.  Let's all be nice!

2 comments:

  1. Some people are so downtrodden and insignificant in their daily working lives, that their only way of becoming temporarily important is by complaining. It gives them a feeling of power for just a few seconds in their otherwise tedious lives. Maybe you should think of yourself as a therapist and encourage their bile!

    Alternatively, keep an inflatable baseball bat handy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...