Pages

02 October 2010

The Evils of Unnecessary Packaging

I think I have mixed feelings towards packaging.  I know I'm easily sold to and am drawn to anything bright and shiny but I also know I find it really hard to open most packaging so end up resenting it.  After our recent Woolworths adventure I now have feelings of frustration towards what I can only describe as totally unnecessary packaging.  Packaging for things that really don't require it, or certainly don't require the level of packaging that has been provided.  Some items are given what can only be described as the Fort Knox of packaging.  If you're lucky enough to break through this impenetrable barrier then well done you and please accept your wondrous booty.  A toothbrush.  It's packaging mayhem out there and such a waste of material, most of which will no doubt end up in a landfill somewhere.  Why did the pack of scouring pads I bought require me to go in search of scissors to get through the plastic of their packaging.  Admittedly we all know that I'm prone to not being able to open things but really, why did they need the plastic packaging in the first place?  And you get some packaging that even the scissors won't get through.  The type that you consider taking a knife to, or perhaps even a blow torch.  Those turn out to be a maze of packaging.  Just when you think you've reached your product you realise there's a whole other plastic box to carve your way through.  And when you're done with that the thing is fixed in place with wires that are tied so tight you can only get through them with scissors but you've already wrecked the scissors trying to get through the first layer of evil plastic.  So then you have to go and buy yourself another pair of scissors but they're so wrapped up in packaging you need a pair of scissors to get in to them but you don't have any scissors because that's the reason why you wanted to buy scissors in the first place!  As you can see this is sending me into a frenzy.  So I shall stop my rant and end by saying packaging is getting out of hand.  Someone please stop the madness!

3 comments:

  1. And certain things could benefit from being better wrapped; land dwelling sharks, for example!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shrink wrapped land dwelling shark - hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there packaging out there big enough to handle the job...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...