Pages

10 October 2010

Bad Films, Good Times

El Kenco reminded me the other day of some of the seriously random films we've seen together.  The weird films that skipped the cinema, skipped DVD and went straight to channel 5.  Certainly not great pieces that will go down in history but films that are so bad they're actually quite funny.  Even when they're not meant to be.  El Kenco and I used to hang out in the kitchen and watch films together, normally whilst eating cheese, dry spaghetti (apparently this is weird), raw carrot and other items snaffled from the cupboards and fridge.  Maybe this is why we ended up in the kitchen watching films; so that we had easy access to various snacks and treats.  Either way, it became our place to watch random stuff that no one else was interested in.  It was like a sister thing and even now there are some things that only El Kenco understands and appreciates.  I know I can see something crazy on TV and think to myself, yup, El Kenco would totally get that.  And she does the same.  Our favourite random film and the one that got me thinking about this was the dodgy poltergeist film we saw many years ago.  It wasn't the poltergeist film just a random rip off that had bad acting, random stunts and most memorably, a roast chicken that somehow sprung back to life and went for the throat of a party goer.  The fact that the actor was blatantly holding the chicken up to his neck whilst pretending to wrestle with an inanimate object was simply hilarious.  I think I remember it being attached to a bit of string and then whipped across the table.  Who knew that demonic roast chickens were an issue!  I remember El Kenco and I used to insist to Rabby that there were axe murderers in the world and that was a big danger.  Rabby would scoff at this until one day he came in whilst we were watching a random channel 5 film where a woman was being chased by a man with an axe.  Our point was made.  There were indeed axe murderers out there.  One New Years eve we stumbled across what we now know is the Rocky Horror Picture Show.  This is a cult classic and I can't categorise this with the other rubbish we've seen but as kids suddenly faced with transsexual aliens from Transylvania our eyebrows were raised.  I think we actually asked permission to watch this.  So there might be some random films out there but they can make for a most entertaining night of viewing.  I have very fond memories of chilling out with El Kenco and if we still lived in the same country I think we'd still be having regular film nights.  Damn you thousands of miles gap!  But anyway, I know there'll be some random films on the cards when El Kenco comes to visit.  And Margaritas.  I can't wait. 

3 comments:

  1. Dry spaghetti! You actually used to eat dry spgahetti! Are we talking about uncooked, out of a packet, knitting needle spaghetti?

    Yup, that qualifies as 'wierd'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure you should have been watching the Rocky Horror Show at that age; Playschool or Blue Peter might have been more appropriate. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes indeed, dry spaghetti straight from the pack. Crunchy!

    Uh oh, now I've got Rabby in trouble. We were in our teens. Honestly!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...