Pages

05 October 2010

Little Stalky Goes Swimming

On Sunday morning Mystical Roo somehow persuaded me to get out of bed and go for a swim with him.  I'm not sure what his trick is as generally exercise first thing on the weekend doesn't overly appeal to Little Stalkys.  I can only assume there were promises of chocolate or sweets or something along those lines.  Anyway, we head off to the leisure centre and it's relatively quiet leaving me relieved that we seem to have made it before the kids.  We head off to our respective changing rooms but not before I've made Mystical Roo promise that he'll wait for me before getting into the pool.  I don't know why but I don't like getting in on my own.  Also, once he gets in and starts skimming through the water I have to concentrate to find my Mystical Roo amongst the others skimming through the water.  With heads down and arms up everyone starts looking the same.  I quickly get changed and grab my towel before nervously exiting the changing room.  I hate doing this.  I'm sure no one gives a damn about me or what I'm doing but it just feels like everyone stares at you when you walk towards the pool and I'm suddenly aware that I'm practically in my underwear!  I do a quick scan for the Mystical Roo but he's nowhere to be seen.  Has he gone back on his promise and headed for the water without me?  After a quick scan of the pool it seems doubtful.  No, he just hasn't come out of the changing room yet.  I hold my towel in front of me like a security blanket whilst I wait for Mystical Roo to arrive.  When he emerges he's dripping wet.  Ah the before swim shower.  I've forgotten about that.  I wonder how much my dryness is being frowned upon.  Oh well, I'm a fairly clean kind of Stalky.  So we head into the pool, Mystical Roo taking a swoop down the stairs, me tentatively climbing down into what I think is fairly cold water.  It's exercise Little Stalky, you warm up once you get your body moving.  Great.  Mystical Roo looks for a lane but there are none left so we settle for the kiddie section, which is actually devoid of children for the time being.  Mystical Roo sets off like some sort of fish - eugh fish - whilst I lightly glide away like, I don't know, a puppy in water or something.  I am not a strong swimmer.  Nor am I a good swimmer.  Or a fast swimmer.  I settle for a gentle breaststroke and keep my head above water.  I have no problem getting my hair wet or anything it's just I can't seem to coordinate my breathing if I try to combine swimming and head dunking.  I know I look like an amateur, especially amongst my supper swimming Australian counterparts but I don't care.  What is concerning me slightly is the elderly lady doing slow walking laps keeps beating me to the end of the pool!  Is it wrong to be competitive with an old lady?  I'm fairly sure she was becoming competitive with me.  Anyway, I increased my game, paddled a little bit harder, but still she beat me!  Bah!  So on one side I've got a walking lady going faster than me and on the other side I've got Mystical Roo who does about four laps to my one and "accidentally" splashes me in the face every time he shoots by.  I continue with my rough kind of breast stroke before I discover it's more fun to pretend I'm dancing in the water.  I suddenly have a gracefulness that I never have on dry land.  After a bit of twirling and leaping in the water whilst pondering whether land dwelling sharks hang out poolside,  Mystical Roo finally stops for a breather and announces it's time to head for the spa.  Oh joy!  This is the real reason I come swimming.  To go and sit in the spa.  And I think I earnt it.  After all my hard work doing the breast stroke and being beaten in the pool by walking old ladies.  Now if there was only some way to orchestrate a spa session without the exercise beforehand I'd be a very happy Stalky. 

2 comments:

  1. So, er, let me get this straight. Was the old lady in the water or out of the pool? Was she using a zimmer frame?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was in the pool and there was no zimmer frame. I don't think you're allowed zimmer frames in the pool. That would be cheating!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...