Pages

03 August 2010

Wild Weather (Part 2)

I think today has been one big blur of previous Little Stalky adventures all melded into one big Little Stalky escapade.  Alas, Woolworths does not feature.  So the wild weather continues to batter the coast and there's been thunder, lightning and gale force wind (though not a hurricane as I previously imagined).  We woke up this morning to find our balcony flooded where branches blown free in the night had clogged up the drain.  As much as I'd one day like a swimming pool, one appearing on the balcony was not what I had in mind.  Poor Mystical Roo (he being the no nonsense hero) waded out to unclog the drain.  Luckily I hadn't left out the washing this time and there was no danger of escapee pants.  After discovering that a) mum's are always right and b) Mystical Roos are always right, I learnt from past experience and made sure I was togged up for my walk to work.  Water proof trousers, water proof jacket, umbrella, trainers and rucksack with items inside of rucksack wrapped in plastic bags for extra protection.  Go practical Stalky!  Yes there was more thievage of items belonging to Mystical Roo and I looked like a street urchin again but there we go.  First, to the letter box where snaffling Stalky is on the hunt for post.  To my horror I realise that the rain has swept into the letter box and soaked the two exciting looking items in there.  One, most likely a DVD and two, a letter with handwriting that certainly belongs to one of my grandparents.  Why couldn't it have been wet bills.  Or wet junk mail.  Damn you sideways rain!  My snaffling skills were not strong enough this morning and I was unable to get my hand in deep enough to retrieve the items.  Now I have to wait for Mystical Roo and his key before I can establish how much damage has been done.  After feeling sad about wet post I trudged towards work and decided to call the gym (that's a whole other story which involves much fist shaking).  Halfway through the phone call the heavens opened and rain started pouring on my head.  Now I was prepared with hood and umbrella but I was on the phone and only had one free hand.  So I tried to pull the hood up but I've stolen Mystical Roo's jacket and it's so big that it actually just keeps getting blown away from my face.  Must save the hair!  Can't turn up to work looking like a scarecrow (again).  I end the phone call and put the phone in the pocket of the raincoat but the zipper is stuck and I can't get it shut.  As I scramble to get my umbrella from the side pocket of my trusty Stalky rucksack I start to wonder whether a puddle will drown my phone in the pocket (it's already had one dunking in the bath you know!)  There's nothing I can do so just hope it will be alright.  I finally get the umbrella up and running but the wind is so strong that I can barely hold it in place.  I start zig zagging down the road with my head down and hair flying all over the place, desperately trying to keep my brolly in check.  I try to get the hood to stay in place but it's just too damned windy and I'm blinded by hair, umbrella and general squinting.  I can't actually look up at this point as I'm walking into the wind and rain and have to keep the umbrella in front of me like a shield but I figure I'll see feet before I walk into anyone and then WHAM!  Not a person.  A telegraph pole.  I've walked into a telegraph pole.  I hope no one saw.  Not that anyone would recognise me because at this point all you could see of me was green raincoat and leopard print brolly.  I plough on, determined that I'll make it to work without ending up in a tree.  The worst part is turning the corner and heading down the hill which leads down into the valley.  The wind was literally howling in my ears and I actually screamed.  Then I had to laugh because I was randomly screaming.  The laughter quickly stopped when my umbrella snapped!  It snapped.  What kind of freaky ass wind snaps a person's umbrella.  I was highly traumatised not only because my poor withered umbrella was now offering very little protection from the elements but because it was a really cool umbrella.  It was leopard print!  And it had survived nearly two whole years with me.  I haven't thrown it out yet.  I still hold some hope that Mystical Roo will fix it for me, though I don't know how.  I actually thought I was going to be late for work because I was walking so slowly.  I just couldn't get up any speed against the wind - it was pushing me backwards!  I arrived at work leaving puddles in my wake.  Who knew that trainers weren't water proof!  My socks were wet but my pants were dry.  What a drama!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...