Pages

23 August 2010

Drive Through Bottle Shops

In Australia we've learnt that you don't buy your alcohol in the supermarket but at specific "bottle shops."  It took a while to get used to the fact that there was no wine aisle in Woolworths but now it feels normal to head over to the bottle shop instead.  One novelty that I still get excited about is the drive through bottle shop.  A drive through bottle shop!  It's the most fun thing ever.  For those of you who don't know what a drive through bottle shop is, it's just like any other drive through, except you order alcohol instead of food.  You just pull up and don't even have to get out of the car if you don't want to.  The staff load up your car with what you want, you pay and then away you go.  Simple.  Our drive through bottle shop is actually closer to home than the standard bottle shop and so on occasions we've done the rebellious thing of walking through the drive through.  I pretended I was in a car though and even made little motoring noises but I don't think Mystical Roo was too impressed.  We must have been driving a European car I think because I was stood to the left of Mystical Roo and I was definitely driving.  He was just the somewhat embarrassed passenger.  So, drive through bottle shops are multifunctional.  You can drive through them and walk through them and turn up in your invisible car.  No one bats an eye. 

7 comments:

  1. Even the name 'Bottle Shop' makes me cringe a bit. Here in France we are much more sophisticated, we call them 'Vinyards', or 'Cave a Vin'. Bottle shop indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does the drive-through alcohol go straight to ones' thighs, too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Straight to my head, especially if it has bubbles (hic).

    Drive through vinyards?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It makes me think of the Crooked River wine tasting and those lovely red wines. Pass me a staddleback please. Slurp slurp!!!

    http://www.crookedriverwines.com.au/images/bottles/27.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha I stumbled across this blog and found this hilarious! I'm from Aus, so bottle shops are the norm for me......when I was in London I thought it was CARAZY that you could buy alcohol at the supermarkets :) funny stuff

    ReplyDelete
  6. omgosh. That is so awesome. I'm so jealous we don't have alcohol drive thrus in the States haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. All we need now is drive through sweet shops! Most excellent

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...