Pages

19 August 2010

Little Stalky's Sweet Tooth

I really miss English sweets.  And sometimes chocolate.  It might seem random but the sweets and chocolate out here are totally different.  Not bad.  Just different.  And as much as I like the sweets here (or should I say lollies) we're in serious need of Rowntrees and Maynards.  Ah fruit gums, how I miss you.  There isn't even an equivalent - no fruit gums, no wine gums, no fruit pastels.  There are no challenging sweets - the super sour type that make your mouth go a funny shape, or the mega chewy ones that require a mini pick axe just to remove from your teeth.  I'm sure I heard (from an episode of The Simpsons I think) that English sweets are quite hardcore compared to those in Australia and America.  Maybe that's what I miss.  Maybe the Australian sweets aren't extreme enough for me!  You can find English sweets out here, in fact the other day I caused a minor disturbance in a gift shop because I'd discovered a tube of fruit gums, but they're crazy expensive.  This tiny tube of fruit gums cost nearly $4.  And did I buy them?  Why yes I did.  But grudgingly.  And then I did a little dance because I was so happy.  I made those little fellas last for several weeks before I finally scoffed the lot.  And they were so good.  Maybe if I buy enough of them the price will come down due to popular demand.  Maybe they'd just run out of stock and I'd have to wait weeks for some more.  Maybe I need to set up a super stalky sweet fund!

7 comments:

  1. I'm going to make you go crazy, but you'd never guess what I have in my mouth at this very moment! A green Maynards Wine gum!!!!!!!!!

    I received a big bag from my daughter-in-law for my recent birthday. I'm limiting myself to 2 a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooooooooooooooo jealous! Got to love wine gums. They're amazing

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll have to send you some supplies when we get back to Blighty. Hope you brush your teeth regularly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make me laugh, stalky, (which is definitely saying something :) I love how English people say "quite" as in "quite good". Here, it's either "really" or "hella" (Californians) or "pretty" good. Do they have three musketeers or baby ruth bars in Australia? Those are to die for. I think it's funny that they don't have root beer in Australia (or so I was told). How can someone live without root beer? Mug, A&W, plain old root beer. Crazyness.
    You seem pretty optimistic, but here's my blog anyways "My Black and White World" http://mybandwworld.blogspot.com/
    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of three musketeers or baby ruths and I've never tried root beer. It sounds like I'm missing out! Perhaps I should visit America just to sample the sweets (or is it candy?). Maybe I should get funding for a world tour of sweet tasting! This sounds like a most excellent and cunning plan...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do they have liquorice allsorts in Oz? (I used to think it would be a wonderful job working in a liquorice allsort factory!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think they do....not that I've seen anyway. They do flavoured liquorice!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...