Pages

13 August 2010

Stalky and the Ridiculously Oversized Sweet Potato...of Doom

I don't know what's happened to the sweet potatoes over here at the moment but they're huge!  Gigantic.  Massive.  They're so humongous that they have an aisle in Woolworths all to themselves.  And this wasn't a gradual thing or anything.  One day they were normal sweet potato size and then the next, giant sweet potato freaks of nature.  They're monstrous.  If I was shopping on my own then I'd have to get a trolley just to push one of these bad boys around.  So tonight I'm doing sweet potato wedges with the salmon and it literally takes me fifteen minutes to get through one of the sweet potatoes.  Just peeling it was a mission.  It's so heavy that my wrist starts to hurt from holding it and it's so wide that I can barely get my hand around it.  The pile of peelings left behind was a little orange mountain.  Then I try to chop the monster potato.  I'm not good at chopping in the first place, so this is just impossible.  I think I got the knife half way through the potato before it got stuck!  And then it wouldn't go up or down.  What am I supposed to do with that?  I bash it a little bit but I think the monster potato might actually break the chopping board.  I finally got the knife through with much wiggling, a lot of cursing and by standing on my tip toes to get as much weight behind it as possible.  Potato madness I tell you!  What are they feeding these things?  If they grow any bigger we won't be able to get them through the door!  At least Mystical Roo is guaranteed plenty of sweet potato wedges tonight.  That beast loaded up two trays full!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...