Pages

01 August 2010

Wild Weather

We've had some heavy rain today and the most random extreme, but very brief, wind.  It ripped the branches off some big trees, left them hanging in the power lines and then buggered off.  Brief yes, but of course I left my washing on the line this morning and now I wonder how many pairs of knickers will have escaped into neighbouring trees.  Hmm.  The weather here in Oz is quite different to what I'm used to back in Blighty and most of the time it's great, what with all the glorious sunshine and all.  We have to be wary of bush fires, which is something new but living on the coast the risk isn't as high as if we lived in the bush.  However, living by the sea I tend to ponder the risks of tsunamis.  I have pondered this idea with Mystical Roo, Bear Z and Rabby but we decided that we'd be pretty alright in the flat, being quite high and in a solid building.  I decided that I would get into the bathtub, grab my body board and prepare to sail out the window in my custom vessel.  If the bathtub decided to sink then I could float off on my body board.  An excellent plan.  We were actually put on tsunami warning a few months ago after an earthquake and my plan went flying out the window (not in a bathtub with a body board) because I had to go to work.  The caravan park.  Possibly the worst possible place to be if a huge ass wave decides to stop by.  There'd be caravans all over the shot.  And how does one go about dodging caravans and possibly the odd cow?  With great difficulty.  And without the bath tub and the body board!  Not good.  But the Australians are very organised and the SES kept us all informed about whether evacuation was necessary.  It was not.  The huge ass waved arrived just after lunch.  It was just over a metre in height.  So the bath tub and the body board were not required.  Phew.

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps you should wear your water wings at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a friend in The Cayman Islands who used to sit in a small rowing boat in his garage every time there was a hurricane. Sadly he was never washed away.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...