Pages

21 August 2010

It's Another Woolworths Adventure!

After various trips to a certain supermarket *cough* Woolworths *cough*, I've decided that some of the staff are really random.  Some are really nice.  But some are really random.  I've never shopped anywhere where I've felt so undervalued as a customer.  Some of the staff don't even say hello to you, don't even look at you and just continue their conversation about who's sleeping with who as they shove your shopping into a bag and cackle like harpies.  My God.  I've worked in Woolworths (though the English version, which now no longer exists - but I promise that wasn't my fault) and even at sixteen I had a better concept of customer service.  Today when I went shopping by my Little Stalky self, I was standing in "the basket" queue and when one of the checkout assistants became available she started waving and shouting at me.  Not, hello can I help you, or, would you like to come over to this counter.  No, it was more like, oi you, are you stupid - can't you see that I'm free.  When I sheepishly approached the counter she gave me a withering stare and I couldn't help but feel like I was in trouble.  She continued her previous conversation with a colleague and said two things to me.  Rewards card?  Cash out?  That was it.  Not even in a sentence.  And she was so gruff I thought that I should have been answering yes ma'am no ma'am.  I had to stop myself giving her a salute before I left the store.  The night previous to this Mystical Roo and I had been doing our weekly shop and when we got to the checkout we got the chatty girl.  She's nice enough and has served us a few times but she doesn't half go on and has a bad habit of shouting to her friends over your head making both of us jump in surprise.  Last night she was complaining that she'd had a long day and should have been finished five minutes ago.  This she tells to Mystical Roo who hasn't taken a holiday in 18 months.  She's preaching to the choir.  At the other end of the scale, the best Woolworths worker and possibly the hardest working man in our town is the dude who collects the trolleys.  We seem him all the time and I wonder if he ever gets a break but then he does seem very content in his work.  He's always smiling, humming and seems to take great pride in his trolleys!  When me and Mystical Roo were loading up our shopping the trolley dude was stood patiently waiting for our trolley and took it from us when we'd finished.  Now that's service!  Then he saw a stray trolley rolling away and he literally sprinted after it and brought it back into the folds.  He's like a shepherd caring for his herd.  The trolley dude is cool. And he could certainly teach a few people a lesson!

2 comments:

  1. Trolly collectors usually have 'Learning Difficulties'. For some reason this makes them hard working, pleasant, and conscientious. I'm not being non-PC, It's the truth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate check-out staff that enter into a race with you, i.e. they try to swipe your items through quicker than you can load into your bag. They seem to get some satisfaction from seeing your bottles topple over and everything piling up in a huge heap. I know I should protest but I'm usually up for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...