Pages

11 July 2010

Do You Speak Whale?

Sometimes I forget that I live in Australia.  It's not like I suddenly wake up and go, oh crap, where the hell am I?  But you still have to go to work, pay the bills, look after the house etc, so things just become normal again.  So waking up on a Sunday morning and pottering around the house seems like just another day until you're disturbed by screams coming from the lounge.  Now with my squiffy hearing, all I can ascertain is that there is a high pitched noise coming from Monster Noggin and urgent requests that I "come quick."  Somehow I convince myself that Mystical Roo has fallen from the balcony or something so I launch myself into the front room in a panic.  But Mystical Roo is fine and both he and Monster Noggin are bouncing around the room pointing out of the window.  Lucky girl that I am, I can see the ocean from my window and there in the blue is a big whale, cheekily flashing his tail at us.  Huge excitement!  Yes we've seen whales before, but never on "our" beach and so close to shore.  It's raining, none of us are dressed but we have the genius idea that we should run to the beach to get a closer look.  Brief pause and then we're all running to get changed.  Who needs underwear, or even shoes, let's just run out of the flat like lunatics just to get a closer look at the whale.  Mystical Roo and Monster Noggin somehow manage to get away with looking vaguely normal, even if Monster Noggin does have bare feet, but I look my normal weird self in huge grey tracksuit bottoms, a Norwich City football shirt and a pair of gold ballet pumps.  I might as well have just gone out in my dressing gown.  So the three of us run up the path to stand on the cliffs by the beach.  And yes, on the day we decide to go out like crazed tourists, there is some sort of surf competition on so lots and lots of people to witness our behaviour.  Excellent.  But totally worth it because the whale was beautiful and kept popping up to say hello.  I'm fairly certain he was waving at me so I waved back.  As you do.  And then I figure if I'm waving at the whale, well, I might as well talk to the whale too.  If you've seen "Finding Nemo" then you'll know what I mean.  He didn't answer back but did pop his head out so I think he was acknowledging my excellent use of whale language.  We stood out in the rain for quite a while watching our whale but eventually had to return to the flat when we realised we were inappropriately dressed for the weather.  Still, as I write this, Mr whale continues to wave at us from the sea.  It's days like this that remind me how lucky I am. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to come over and visit you in whale season methinks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...