Pages

20 July 2010

Over Thinking the Situation

It's often been said that I tend to "over think" the situation, whatever the situation may be.  I simply can't help myself.  Even for the most basic of things I'm pondering the consequences to my actions.  Will I offend anyone?  Will I upset anyone?  Will they think I'm crazy?  Probably.  I decided to phone Mystical Roo whilst he was doing an expo to see what he wanted for dinner.  My first thoughts are that I don't want to disturb him if he's in the middle of speaking to a potential client.  Then I think, oh it's ok he won't pick up the phone of he doesn't want to.  But then, what if it rings at a really awkward moment and interrupts the flow of conversation.  What if it's ringing in his pocket and everyone is just staring.  What if the potential client thinks Mystical Roo is rude for not answering his phone and becomes not a potential client but not a client at all.  Oh God, I've ruined the business!  See, over thinking.  Now I can't text Mystical Roo because his phone is a bit squiffy and won't allow him to view messages.  So I think I'll prank Mystical Roo, just once and then he'll know I've tried to make contact and call me back at a time that's appropriate to him.  So I let the phone ring once and then hang up.  Ok, that should do it.  He will call me back.  20 minutes go by and still no phone call.  Not only am I a scatterbrained over thinker I'm also impatient. Then, I try to argue with my impatience.  Maybe he's really busy.  Maybe he didn't hear the phone.  Or maybe, because I let the phone ring just once on my end, it didn't translate into a ring at the other end.  I've seen this delay happen before when we play phone tag around the house.  Yes, it's the delay.  Mystical Roo didn't hear it ring at all.  So, I call again and let it ring about 4 times this time just to make sure.  Then, almost immediately Mystical Roo calls me back.  For reasons unknown I then launch into a full account of my over thinking.  Then I think Mystical Roo must think I'm a crazy stalker Stalky because I over think too much.  Then I realise that he's seen enough crazy by now that if he was going to do a runner he would have done it already. 

3 comments:

  1. What the hell did we all do before these wretched things were invented?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely too much thinking going on. Far better to act on impulse (sometimes!).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...