Pages

21 July 2010

Stalky the Pedestrian

In the last 18 months I've done a lot more walking than driving so am generally the pedestrian shaking her fist at the car rather than the driver shaking her fist at the walker.  It's a hard life being a pedestrian sometimes, especially if you're trying to navigate the car park at Woolworths.  Oh yes, another Woolworths adventure.  Walking up the street and arriving at Woolworths one is faced with what can only be described as a gauntlet.  It's like the cars are there with the sole purpose of taking out pedestrians and possibly earning points in the process.  You can't take a step forward without someone reversing towards you.  Sidestep that car and another one's aiming at you from round the corner.  There is so much activity in that car park I wonder why more people aren't actually parked and off doing their shopping.  It's like a car conspiracy.  They're toying with us!  I almost got wiped out on a zebra crossing the other day.  I'm a good pedestrian and I always wait at the zebra crossing before continuing as you just can't trust people to stop.  You have to allow for the person on their phone, the speed demon and the yokel who shouldn't even own a license.  Still, heading across the zebra crossing one car had stopped for me and then from over the hill this woman comes flying towards me, not stopping, not slowing, definitely not stopping.  I froze in the middle of the zebra crossing and let her whip on past.  Yes she was on her phone.  And the worst thing?  She gave me this look as if to question why I was stood in the middle of the road.  Like I was the one who was in the wrong.  If I was more inclined to violence I might have thrown something at her car.  But it's not just the one's who don't stop that are the problem.  You also get the ones who think they're being helpful by slowing to let you cross the road when in fact it would have been a whole lot quicker if they'd just carried out and gotten out of your way.  If you're the only car coming down the road you might as well just keep going.  Especially if you're not going to actually indicate that you're letting me across.  As far as I'm concerned you're just slowing down for the junction and will run me over just as fast as zebra crossing lady.  If you don't flash your lights, give a little wave, a little nod, how am I supposed to know you're trying to let me cross.  I'm not psychic!  Never mind.  Tomorrow I might be behind the wheel myself and then I can blog about how annoying the pedestrians are. 

1 comment:

  1. Stop moaning. Just take the car, and try to blend in. And don't forget the knotched stick on the dash; when you get to 20 you become a TRUE AUSSIE.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...