Pages

24 July 2010

Real Women have Curves...

So what am I?  Fake?  I try not to rant too much, but my inner Stalky is shouting today and shaking her fist at the television.  The reason for my fist shaking?  The smug TV presenter announcing matter-of-factly that if you don't have curves then you're not a real woman.  At the risk of starting some sort of size debate I would like to say...what the hell?  I understand the message that women should be embracing their natural figure and not trying to starve themselves to look like the size zero models that are always in the spotlight, but surely this is promoting another image than can be equally unattainable for those of us lacking in the curves department.  Some people are naturally skinny and it can be as hard for them to put on weight as it is for others to lose it.  Whilst a more voluptuous lady might look at me and wish they were slimmer I'd look straight back and wish for a bigger bra size.  Women come in all shapes and sizes and a lot of that is down to your genes.  How dare anyone tell me I'm not a real woman because I don't have curves.  What would you like me to do?  Get implants?  Carve out some of my waist to make my hips look rounder?  I think it's wrong that any woman should feel they have to diet and punish themselves to try and fit into a pair of size 6 jeans but I also think it's wrong that any woman should feel they have to pad themselves out to fit ideas of what's sexy.  Some people are big and some people are small but that's ok because as long as you're happy and healthy and have people around you who love you it shouldn't matter what size you are.

2 comments:

  1. Real men don't eat Quiche, fat women are always happy, veggies are all sick, where does it stop? Take a good sized stone, and the next time that silly woman comes on TV hurl it at the screen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. People are just too obsessed with body image, true beauty comes from within. Anyway, what is a REAL woman? What are you if you're not a real woman? A proper donkey?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...