Pages

19 May 2011

The Basil Plant Rebels Against the Cold

After announcing that the basil plant was looking lush and bushy I'm now sad to say that he's looking decisively unhealthy.  After being attacked by what I assume was evil caterpillars of doom he's now suffering from wilting leaves, which have gone somewhat black around the edges.  He's still big but has definitely lost some of his bushiness.  It's like he just can't be bothered anymore.  My poor basil plant.  I've checked the other plants and they all seem to be happy.  I wondered, was this a case of bullying on the balcony?  But who is going to bully the basil plant.  He's pretty big.  And though the lemon tree is bigger, I've always thought of him as a peaceful tree.  Anyway, I've been doing some research and checking out what other basil plant owners think.  It seems that it may well be down to a sudden drop in temperature.  You'd think that living in Australia, the plants would be alright come winter, but apparently the basil plant is particularly sensitive and if the temperatures get lower than about 7 degrees then he won't be happy.  Well I know for a fact that we got down as low as 6 degrees the other night so it's no wonder he's in a strop.  I wouldn't be happy either.  The other plants are coping with the change in temperature but the basil plant is having none of it.  He likes things nice and warm apparently.  And who can blame him.  I'm thinking that maybe he needs to come in of a night.  The day seems to be fine with the sun shining and temperatures still doing ok.  It's not like we'll get a frost or anything.  But at night time I think he needs to be indoors.  So that's the plan.  Protect the basil plant from the cold and see if he brightens up a bit.  I hate to see the plants in distress and hope that this solves the problem.  I'll keep you posted.  

3 comments:

  1. Basil plants are very delicate in the best of times, I've just had to throw mine out. Make that Pesto while you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like Tommy Thyme has been having a go at Big Basil. Seriously, yes, it sounds like he doesn't like the cold. Our basil always dies off over winter and we buy a new plant (the 'culinary' pots in Leclerc are cheaper than the garden centre)each Spring. We like to plant them amongst the tomato plants. Maybe you should buy a new plant when your weather warms up again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will not accept defeat! I must protect the plants at all costs. I am currently working on a transition plan that will see the basil try to live indoors. He comes inside overnight and sits in the sink and then goes back out into the sunshine during the day. I'll make him better again

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...