Pages

26 May 2011

Little Stalky Gets a Filling

I have returned from the dentist and my tooth is now filled.  And my mouth is a bit numb.  But hey ho.  I was quite blase about going to the dentist until I actually sat down in the chair.  Then I got a bit nervous.  I think it's the unknown.  Not knowing what to expect.  I figured I needed to try very hard not to look at the various tools that would poking around in my mouth and imagine myself into a happy place.  With dancing rabbits scattering offerings of wine gums, fruit pastels and fruit gums.  Inappropriate at the dentists but it made me happy.  The dentist numbed my gums before injecting the anaesthetic and I must say that although I was shaking at this point I didn't feel a thing.  It was totally painless.  And then I started to numb up and that was a weird sensation.  The dental nurse was talking to me whilst the anaesthetic was kicking in and I could hear my voice becoming thick as the right side of my mouth started to protest.  Once the anaesthetic had kicked in they began work on the tooth.  There was drilling, there was poking and there were definitely lasers.  There was also a hoover type device that was sucking up liquid in my mouth.  A strange experience but painful?  Not at all.  I kept waiting for the dentist to announce that the next bit would be a bit uncomfortable.  Or, this might hurt a bit.  Or, ok you'll feel a slight twinge.  But it never came.  And it never hurt.  And as I relaxed and fought the urge to sneeze - a bad time to sneeze - with various things hanging out of my mouth I couldn't help but imagine myself as a walrus.  This is not good.  Never imagine yourself as a walrus when people are poking around in your mouth with drills.  Because it makes you want to giggle.  And giggling would not be good.  I fought the urge to giggle but it was hard.  The walrus images were hilarious at the time.  The filling was actually done in no time and I was surprised that it seemed so easy.  I had to rinse my mouth out and this time I did laugh because the numb side of my face wasn't responding to my brain's instructions and I ended up dribbling all over the place.  Try swirling and spitting when one half of your mouth is numb.  It's not easy.  But very funny.  I left the dentist and phoned Mystical Roo to tell him that I was alright and regaled him with tales of me as a walrus.  He asked if I had a silver or white filling and I realised that I didn't know.  It wasn't brought up so I assumed it wasn't an option.  That made me keen to get home and check things out in the mirror.  I also wanted to laugh at my own face as I knew my smile was wonky.  I got home and checked out the tooth and realised - much to my delight - that the filling is white.  You wouldn't know anything had been done.  Except for the fact that there's no hole anymore.  Good work Mr dentist.  Little Stalky salutes you!  

3 comments:

  1. Lucky you! I'm afraid my experiences (since the age of zilch) have not been so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me neither. I shudder just to hear the word dentist. Pleased it was a giggly experience for you Little Stalky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no need to be scared of the dentist. It's the land dwelling sharks we should all be watching out for!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...