Pages

16 May 2011

It's Not a Darlek

Compost bin is joined by the BBQ and some
tomato plants which have passed on and
are waiting to go to compost heaven
I am a gardener (all be it an aspiring one) without a garden and I don't like my lack of garden to stop me doing the things other gardeners do.  Yes a ride on mower would be excessive and I'm not going to be planting an orchard any time soon but my little garden is coming along nicely.  And now a new addition.  Drum roll please.  A compost heap!  Ok, it's less of a heap and more of a bin.  And I haven't actually started the heap yet.  But I was - and continue to be - rather excited.  I have attached a picture of my new compost bin and I think he fits rather nicely against the wall.  He also resembles a darlek.  In fact as I was putting the bin together - yes I did it all by myself - Mystical Roo made comment that I looked like I was being attacked by a darlek.  But it's not a darlek.  At least I don't think it is.  I haven't noticed any plotting of world domination or floating, zapping antics.  We'll assume for the time being that it's not a darlek but that there is a vague possibility that it's a darlek disguised as a compost bin.  Until it starts exhibiting threatening behaviour I shall treat it as a compost bin.  Now what I didn't realise when I bought my darlek is that it doesn't have a bottom.  It's designed I guess for folk with actual gardens, actual soil, actual ground and what not.  Well I'm sorry but that's just prejudiced.  And making unnecessary assumptions that gardeners - like me - actually have a garden.  I obviously don't want to start the compost pile atop the tiles of the balcony so Mystical Roo and I figure we need some kind of base.  A tray of some description.  So this is our next mission.  To find the compost bin a bottom so that I can start my pile.  Then the adventures of Little Stalky's compost bin...can begin! 

3 comments:

  1. Little Stalky, I think this is one of your crazier ideas! How will the worms get in? And what about the pong? Exterminate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can buy worms - I've seen them. You can buy a thousand worms in Bunnings. Also, the compost shouldn't smell if it's done correctly....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...