Pages

02 May 2011

Little Stalky Sets the Oven on Fire

There are certain meals that are Mystical Roo meals and there are certain meals that are Little Stalky meals.  One of the meals that fall in Mystical Roo's corner is bread crumbed fish.  But on the night we had defrosted the cod for this very meal, Mystical Roo got held up with work and with his ETA set for around 20.00 it fell to Little Stalky to get the dinner on.  I have no problem with this.  Except for the fish.  One of the main reasons this dish falls in Mystical Roo's corner?  The god damned fish.  I don't like fish at the best of times, let alone when I have to handle them.  And yes, this fish was just a fillet.  It didn't even look like a fish anymore.  It had been boned.  But it hadn't been scaled.  And looking at the fillets of fish waiting for me I knew I would have to handle the fish and in turn handle the scales.  I can't quite describe how this makes me feel.  But my body will physically try to stop me from touching the fish.  My skin goes all tingly and I have to psych myself up to pick the thing up.  I then have to zone out and imagine I'm touching anything other than fish scales.  A bit of steak, a bit of chook, a bit of anything other than a fish.  Why does it freak me out so much?  I have no idea.  I'm a little bit weird.  Mystical Roo had left me instructions on how to breadcrumb the fish - bit of egg, bit of flour, some breadcrumbs, but I had the feeling I wasn't doing it quite right.  Maybe it was because I was in such a rush to stop touching the fish.  The flour went kind of sticky yet the breadcrumbs wouldn't actually stick to anything.  Hmm.  I think I was so keen to make the fish look less like fish that I got a bit carried away with the breadcrumbs.  Maybe this was why the fish seemed to take a while to cook.  But things turned out ok and Mystical Roo came home, had a shower and was served a vaguely edible meal of bread crumbed fish, sweet potato wedges and broccoli.  What happened next was both surprising and disturbing.  I was sat at the table, munching on the fish when something caught my eye.  A little flicker of light in the kitchen.  Then a bigger flicker of light.  Then a flame.  Then it dawned on me that the oven was on fire.  I turned to Mystical Roo and quite calmly announced that the oven was on fire.  Mystical Roo, heroic as ever, leapt to his feet and confirmed that yes the oven was on fire.  He turned it off, opened the door and as it turns out was able to blow out the fire with several lungfuls of breath.  A relief because I wouldn't have been impressed if I'd managed to burn the kitchen down.  A concern because the electric oven had managed to set itself on fire.  I'd actually forgotten to turn the oven off and it seems that something had dripped onto the bottom of the oven and ignited.  Needless to say oven cleaning is now at the top of my list of things to do.

2 comments:

  1. Are you sure you should be let loose in the kitchen without a grown up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For goodness sake.... Pull yourself together, woman.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...