Pages

18 July 2011

3D Glasses: No One Looks Good in Them

We - we being me, Mystical Roo, Duke and Bob-a-Roony - went to see the new Harry Potter film last night.  In 3D!  Now, I'm still a bit torn on the old 3D business but I must say that it did seem to enhance the Harry Potter experience.  I think I've decided that 3D films can be fun for the right type of film but is not necessary for everything one watches.  It takes me a while to get used to the 3D experience as I do feel a slight strain on my eyes (worrying?) but this does normally pass fairly quickly.  Then I'm absorbed in the film and do embarrassing things like try and touch the things that are floating out of the screen.  I'm sure I'm not the only one but imagine how stupid you look poking at thin air.  Poke, poke.  The other thing about a 3D film is the fabulous 3D glasses.  Can anyone make those things look good?  I think not.  We all collectively look ridiculous.  You have to wait until the lights go down to put on the 3D glasses or risk looking like a complete plonker.  Then, when the lights have gone down, you can have a quick sneak peek around the cinema and giggle as you see waves of people all wearing the same 3D glasses.  Then you can remind yourself that you look just as stupid and keep your giggling to yourself.  Yesterday they were selling Harry Potter specific 3D glasses - 3D glasses that are round and made to look like the glasses worn by the boy wizard himself.  These were $3 more than the normal glasses so seemed like an unnecessary expense.  We stuck with the standard ones instead, which, by the way, they encourage you to recycle at the end of the show.  Recycle?  I don't think so.  If I've paid for the 3D glasses then I'm taking them home with me to reuse again.  I'll recycle them that way thank you very much.  Ok so we now have eight pairs of 3D glasses but at least that means we can share.  We just need to remember that we have eight pairs of 3D glasses so that no one goes out and buys new ones.  I might customise mine.  Cover them in tinfoil or stick some dangly bits on them.  Or maybe not.  I'm not sure it's wise to draw even more attention to the crazy looking 3D glasses.  So those are my thoughts on the whole 3D experience.  Oh yeah, the film was good too!    

3 comments:

  1. The last 3D film I saw was back in the early 50's. I think I still have the glasses. Cardboard, one eye red, tother green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to experience such 3D wonders. How many years before this will be aired on television? Maybe I should just splurge out and buy the DVD! (Do you remember the sneezing dog at the Universal Studio 3D theatre experience in Florida?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes. I also remember the Muppets 3D. Good times

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...