Pages

10 July 2011

Stalky Sans Sat Nav

On Friday I bravely ventured to Sydney airport to collect Mystical Roo and I went without my trusty sat nav.  I went solo.  Solo Stalky heading to Sydney.  Now I've done this trip on several occasions and felt fairly confident but I wasn't sure how much I actually relied on the sat nav.  She tells me what lane to get into and warns me when a turning is coming up.  She also tells me how far away I am and if I can expect speed cameras.  Me and the sat nav lady get on quite well.  Mystical Roo silences her but I enjoy the conversation.  Yes she sometimes interrupts a good song on the radio but never without good reason.  I'm careful to thank her for her advice.  But on this occasion the sat nav was actually with Mystical Roo in Perth.  So I couldn't use the sat nav.  For some reason Mystical Roo thought he would need more, though personally I doubt that.  Mystical Roo has a wonderful nose for finding his way.  I would always trust his nose.  I decided that I could do to the trip to Sydney.  At the end of the day I vaguely knew the route and all I had to do was follow the signs.  What did I do before sat nav?  I had written directions.  But this time I was going solo.  Oh yeah.  I'm pleased to say that I had a highly successful trip.  Not only did I not go wrong once, I also got into the correct lane every time and felt perfectly relaxed the whole time.  The only minor confusion was a new KFC, which made me think I'd gone the wrong way but that was quickly cleared up.  Because of the crazy parking charges at the airport we - we being whoever is doing the Mystical Roo run - tend to hole up in the McDonalds / KFC car park until we receive "the phone call".  It's about a minute away from the airport and offers free parking until Mystical is ready.  It also offers burgers and coffee.  I think I sat in the car park for about half an hour waiting for Mystical Roos call before I finally zoomed off to collect him.  It was a cause for huge excitement as Mystical Roo had been away for two weeks.  He got a very big hug before I promptly handed him the car keys and leapt into the passenger seat.  He might have just got off a flight but Mystical Roo likes to drive.  And I'm happy to let him.  I might have made it all the way there without incident but heading back might have been pushing it.  I did, after all, once get lost whilst two minutes away from home...

4 comments:

  1. So that is why you were dribbling tomato ketchup and smelling of onions when you picked us up from the airport!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you getting lost in deepest Wiltshire. You had only driven to the neighbouring village about 5 miles away. I got a 'phone call at midnight "Mum, we're going to be late home. I think we're on our away to Exeter..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Imagine the places you've never seen, or never will see, by NOT getting lost. Sat Navs have a lot to answer for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha! Oh yes, that's exactly it. Yes, we were on the road to Exeter. We had to ask for directions at the petrol station. Tee hee

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...