Pages

27 July 2011

Thwarted by a Sponge

There's been some weird sponge activity going on tonight.  Weird.  I was innocently doing the washing up as normal.  Sponging the dishes.  Rinsing the glasses.  Fighting with the sieve.  I do what I assume most people do when they've finished the washing up - empty the bowl and put the sponge on the side.  But the sponge did not want to sit on the side.  It refused.  I tipped the water out of the bowl, put the sponge on the side and the sponge plunged back into the sink and underneath the bowl.  Stupid sponge.  I assumed I just hadn't put it in place well enough.  I'd obviously left it teetering on the edge.  So I retrieved the sponge and put it back on the side.  Firmly.  But again, the crazy sponge made a break for it and leapt back into the sink  Crazy sponge.  So I picked it up again and put it back on the side.  Guess what?  It happened again!  The sponge hopped back into the sink.  I was beginning to get frustrated.  What the hell was happening?  Was the sink really that slippery?  I picked up the sponge again and placed it back on the side.  That God damned sponge only went and did the same thing again.  At this point I could imagine Mystical Roo reminding me of the definition of an idiot.  So I tried a new tactic.  I would place the sponge on the counter top - away from the sink - and then see what it did.  What did it do?  It shimmied along the surface and leapt back into the sink.  I know what you're thinking.  Oh, Little Stalky, you have a poltergeist.  You have a possessed sponge.  Who the hell has a possessed sponge?  That's beyond weird.  Even for me.  But I wasn't deterred.  I wasn't intimidated.  I picked up that sponge and shoved it on the side and then watched as it zoomed back across the surface.  And that's when I saw it.  The hair.  My hair.  Attached to the sponge.  Attached to the rubber glove.  Every time I moved back to the sink I unwittingly tugged the sponge with me.  I suppose it's a relief that I don't have a possessed sponge.  I'm just a little concerned about how long it took me to realise what was going on!  

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...