Pages

15 July 2011

Dog Grooming: A Risky Business

Yesterday I was at work with Mystical Roo when I came across Sam's doggy hairbrush.  Bored of sorting through a year's worth of receipts I decided that I would have a break and take Sam outside to give him a brush.  Weird?  Maybe.  But I find there's something very relaxing about brushing a dog.  Or a cat.  Or a rabbit.  Or anything for that matter.  Keep me away from your rugs or they might get brushed!  Anyway, Sam seemed quite happy to have a bit of a brush and after an initial tummy rub sat down quietly and stayed still as I brushed his fur.  We were only out there for a few minutes when I heard the familiar sound of the approaching postie.  Sam's ears perked up.  My ears perked up.  You may remember that Sam and the postman have a growing friendship and seem to look forward to their daily encounters.  When the postie approached Sam headed towards the fence to greet his favourite mail carrying, moped riding dude.  But shock horror - the postie didn't come in.  He drove straight on past.  Obviously there was no mail for us that day.  We got a wave and a toot of the horn but that obviously wasn't enough for Sam who, before I knew it, was bolting off down the road and chasing the postie.  Chasing the postie!  Way to conform to stereotypes, Sam.  I was aghast.  I stood there with the doggy hairbrush and just watched as Sam chased the postie.  Then I chased Sam.  So we've got a postie whizzing down the road, followed by a massive black Labrador, followed by a Little Stalky with a doggy hairbrush.  I was relieved to see the postie stop and indulge Sam with the cuddle he was after.  I honestly thought I'd lost the dog!  I tried calling Sam, waving my doggy hairbrush and making vague attempts to whistle but Sam was having none of it.  He was in the arms of his beloved postie and wasn't letting go.  It was only when the postie pointed in my direction and sent Sam on his way did the dog return.  I decided it was time for us to head back indoors.  My dog grooming plans had gone awry and I was ashamed that I'd lost control of the situation.  We returned inside and I sheepishly headed up to the office to announce that Sam had gone chasing the postie.  Of course they all knew because they'd been watching from out of the windows.  So not only did I lose the dog but I had an audience to boot!  Who knew that dog grooming was such a risky business.  

3 comments:

  1. Yet another dog with selective hearing. I knew some children a bit like that once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But they didn't chase the postman...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...