Pages

11 July 2011

Saturday Football

On Saturday, Monster Noggin and I joined our Australian buddy to go and watch Mystical Roo play for his football team.  And this is football football, not rugby football.  Some of you like to call it....soccer, but being English we like to call it football.  This is the first time I've been to watch Mystical Roo play for his new team and it brought back memories of watching Mystical Roo play for his team back in England.  There were many Sunday mornings spent bundled up, stood on the side of a frozen pitch as a few supporters cheered for their team.  I liked to think of myself as a stylish kind of WAG with coat, wellies, ear muffs and sunglasses.  Stylish.  It might have been cold but it was always quite a nice way to spend a Sunday morning.  Chatting with the girls, starting the occasional three person Mexican wave and laughing at Duke's attempt to shout "he fell over!"  I myself have a tendency to get overly vocal and normally have to reign myself back in.  On Saturday I tried to keep it down to the odd whoop and polite clapping.  I wouldn't want the football team to shun Mystical Roo because of his over enthusiastic girlfriend.  We sat in the sunshine and although the wind was cold it was nothing compared to the frost of a winter's morning in England.  I enjoy watching a match where I have someone to cheer for.  It's no fun watching sport unless you care about who wins.  I think Monster Noggin and our Australian were scouting for eligible footballers but Monster Noggin didn't have her seeing glasses on and so couldn't be trusted to make judgement.  The team had a good game and in the end won 4-1.  It's even better watching a match where you have someone to cheer for when they actually win.  I'll give Mystical Roo a few more weeks before I consider approaching his team about the idea of a mascot.  All they need is a costume and I'll happily provide a person to put inside it.  What would Saturday football be like without a mascot?  Normal probably.  But then I don't really do normal.  

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...