Pages

08 July 2011

Attack of the Chilblains

Please note:  This is not my foot.  My feet are
not this attractive
In the last couple of days I've been struck by chilblains.  Horrible, uncomfortable, itchy chilblains.  I used to suffer with chilblains quite a bit when I was younger but haven't been affected in years.  But now they're back.  And they're meaner than ever.  For those of you who don't really know what chilblains are, I would describe them as weird patches of skin - these are on my toes by the way - that go red and tight and then itch like crazy.  And then when the itching is done they go really sore and swollen.  Not cool.  I think chilblains are normally brought on by the cold and can be exacerbated by poor circulation.  Well, it's been cold.  And windy.  And I have bad circulation.  But why now?  Why have the chilblains struck after so many years?  I honestly have no idea.  All I know is that they're driving me crazy.  Itchy toes can be very distracting.  I have vague memories of using Vick's Vapour Rub on my toes back in the day but that seems a little bit random.  Maybe it was something that looked like Vick's Vapour Rub but wasn't actually Vick's Vapour Rub.  I've decided that the best course of action must be to keep my feet warm and the blood pumping.  I tend to sit at my desk for hours on end and my feet just kind of go to sleep so I'm taking steps (ha ha) to keep them more active.  Think, under the desk foot tapping.  Foot dancing.  And I'll get up to have a wander.  I've also got on rather attractive purple, fluffy socks.  Keep the feet snug, keep the feet warm.  All being well my Mystical Roo will be back home today and he can resume radiator duties in the bed.  Maybe that's what set off the chilblains!  I had no one to rub my cold feet against.  I'll have to see if his return sends the chilblains packing.  Here's hoping!  

5 comments:

  1. Goose fat maybe? Or what about a mustard foot bath? I'm sure our great great great grandmothers would have suggested something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goose fat - the cure for all ills and great for roasting potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And where does one obtain goose fat?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...