Pages

06 August 2011

Fruit Fly Situation

In my first compost related drama I currently find myself in the midst of a fruit fly situation.  Fruit flies are in my compost.  It's most annoying.  I'm not against fruit flies per se but I don't appreciate a whole swarm of them flying into my face when I go to stir the compost.  I also don't appreciate fruit flies hanging around the house.  It's so not a good look.  I suppose a certain level of fruit fly activity is to be expected around rotting fruit.  Apparently there are states in Australia that are fruit fly free (try saying that a few times) but NSW isn't one of them.  I have no idea how states become fruit fly free but I've seen signs.  How do they keep them out?  Is there some sort of invisible barrier that only fruit flies can see?  Weird.  So I've been doing some reading and apparently I should try adding some shredded paper or cardboard into the mix.  Apparently the fruit flies will not appreciate this addition.  So I'll give it a go.  Because I don't want the fruit flies getting too comfortable in their new home.  Stalky out.  

2 comments:

  1. Are you really sure this compost bin is a good idea? OK, I'll shut up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about keeping a chameleon in the compost bin?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...