Pages

16 August 2011

Starting the Season in Style

As part of Mystical Roo's ongoing birthday celebrations we - Monster Noggin and I - decided to throw him a surprise birthday party.  Exciting.  We were fairly sure that Mystical Roo had never had a surprise birthday party before and we were fairly sure that we'd never organised a surprise party before.  We set a date for a Friday night and planned to lure Mystical Roo round with promises of food and cheesecake.  He was easily snared.  We realised that the party would neatly coincide with the start of the football season and more importantly, Norwich's first game.  We therefore did what any loyal canary would do.  We themed our party yellow and green!  Yes the Aussies on the guest list were confused but we managed to explain the situation and even persuaded a few to don an actual Norwich shirt.  So we had yellow and green balloons, 95% of which were blown up by yours truly.  I suppose I've got to put all that hot air to good use.  We had yellow and green bunting?  I put a question mark after bunting because I'm not sure if that's really what it is.  It was yellow and green crepe paper in streamer form.  We then snaffled Norwich memorabilia in the form of scarves, shirts and hats before using them to decorate Monster Noggin's house.  We even had yellow and green lights.  Finding yellow and green themed food is not quite as easy but we did come up with yellow and green vodka jelly shots - did you know Australia seems to have jelly crystals and not cubes  Weird - we also had cucumber and yellow pepper for dipping.  I bought some foam bananas because they were yellow and Monster Noggin used yellow and green icing to decorate Mystical Roo's birthday cake but that was about as far as we got.  Surprisingly there's not a whole lot of yellow and green food out there.  Who knew.  As well as our fabulous yellow and green decorations we also stuck up photos of Mystical Roo from various periods of his life.  We had baby Mystical Roo, small child Mystical Roo and teenage Mystical Roo.  Pictures of current Mystical Roo seemed pointless as he was actually there and if people wanted to know what he looked like - or looks like - they could just look at him.  Makes sense.  Oh yeah, I also did up a nice slideshow (yellow and green background) with pictures of Mystical Roo.  We even had a shot of Delia in there, which the Norwich fans understood but which the Aussies probably just thought was some random relative of Mystical Roo.  As far as I'm aware Mystical Roo is in no way related to Delia.  So there was much scheming for this party with Monster Noggin "in Sydney" for the day and me "at home" for the day.  When I got home to await Mystical Roo's return from work I had to play it cool on the sofa.  Not easy!  When we returned to Monster Noggins house I don't think Mystical Roo had any idea what was about to happen.  He opened the door to a sea of yellow and green and was greeted with birthday wishes, party poppers and silly string in the face.  Excellent.  I quickly snuck off to get into my party gear - black shorts, football socks (stolen from Mystical Roo) and my own Norwich shirt.  Then I whipped out the Norwich shirt I'd snuck into my handbag and handed it to Mystical Roo so that he could blend in with the crowd.  You can't turn up to your own Norwich themed party and not have your shirt.  That would be crazy.  Mystical Roo was pleasantly surprised though I think somewhat shocked by the sneakiness of his sister and girlfriend.  We're sneaky!  But we kicked off the season in style. 

1 comment:

  1. And a draw to kick off the season.... could've been worse!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...