Pages

17 August 2011

Mystical Roo's New Toy

I bought Mystical Roo a few gifts for his birthday but I wanted to give him something that he could keep and remember as the present Little Stalky gave him for this 30th birthday.  Whiskeys a good gift but it goes down too quickly and whilst I'm sure the memories of watching a live performance of Mary Poppins will last a lifetime I wanted Mystical Roo to have something, you know, solid.  So what does a Little Stalky buy for the man who already has a surfboard?  She buys him a big ass knife!  Oh yeah!  I bought Mystical Roo a Wusthof Classic 26cm Chefs Knife.  It's a beast.  I did a fair bit of research and was torn between the heavy German blade or a more light weight Japanese style knife.  In the end I decided that Mystical Roo would appreciate a heavy beast of a thing.  A manly knife.  A knife with a bit of grrrrr power.  That's grrrr power, not to be confused with girl power, which is a very different thing.  My research definitely left me wanting the Wusthof, a beautiful knife, perfectly balanced and hardcore enough to take on pretty much any kitchen task.  I was sold when I read one review where a woman had noted how her husband had referenced Crocodile Dundee and said "this is a knife!"  And on that note I decided that yes, this definitely was a knife.  A very good knife.  Mystical Roo is a good cook and likes hanging out in the kitchen, you know, chopping stuff, so I thought it would be nice for him to have the best tool for it.  You can buy knives in the supermarket or Ikea or whatever but nothing compares to a good quality blade.  Yes I spent a few hundred dollars on this bad boy but he'll last a life time.  And where possible I want nothing but the best for the Mystical Roo.  So I ordered my knife with the help of Monster Noggin and was very excited when it arrived at the post office.  When I went to collect the package I was surprised by how heavy it was.  And how big the box was.  It turned out that the knife had been generously packed with loads of those little inflatable bags and lots of bubble wrap.  After popping a few bubbles - it has to be done - I took the knife out to examine it and once pleased with my purchase I then discarded any evidence of my purchase.  Except for the purchase itself obviously.  Because that would be silly.  I had that knife hidden in my wardrobe for a good month or so before I decided to wrap it.  Honestly, all manner of things ended up in my wardrobe in the lead up to Mystical Roo's birthday (including a carton of orange juice) but the knife was the most pointy.  I wrapped it and was excited on the morning of Mystical Roo's birthday to present him with his gift.  Mystical Roo was intrigued by the weighty little package.  Then Mystical Roo was thrilled with the big man knife inside.  Yeah! I knew he'd want the big heavy German knife.  Yeah!  The first thing he did was throw an apple in the air and slice through it with the knife.  He didn't miss either.  Though at first it did look like it.  But oh no, that knife is so sharp it sliced through the apple so neatly that we didn't know it had done it until the apple fell into two halves.  Cool!  Mystical Roo has since  been demonstrating the knife to the rest of the family.  He hasn't exactly been wandering around throwing apples in the air but he has been randomly chopping things.  We did the tomato test and the knife glided through.  Honestly, I used it to chop some sweet potato last night and it was like cutting through butter.  And if you've read my tales of sweet potato mayhem you'll know that normally it's a monster struggle.  Yes, the Wusthof knife is an impressive beast.  It puts the other knives to shame.  I'm actually a bit scared to use it just in case I have one of my clumsy moments.  I know that spending that kind of money on a knife means you'll want to make the right decision but if anyone is reading this and wondering whether it's a good choice, trust me, it's a good choice.  Go Wusthof!  

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure Little Stalky should use that knife unsupervised. Have you got a good First Aid kit handy? I know, I worry too much... (I'm VERY envious of that knife though).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't begin to count how many wonderful knives I've bought in my life (all useless), but my favourite one was found abandoned in my Brighton garage. It's a belter; and came free!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...