Pages

03 August 2011

Musical Stalky

Today I felt inspired to post a photograph of my beloved keyboard.  I can't exactly remember on which birthday I was given the keyboard but I've definitely had it for well over a decade now.  And it's still going strong!  It came to university with me and now I've dragged it half way round the world to Australia.  So I've had the keyboard for over a decade but I don't technically play.  I've never had a lesson and I certainly can't read music but I can hammer out a perfectly good rendition of "für elise".  I sort of play by ear.  I can normally hear a melody and then work out how to play it on the keyboard.  I have vague memories of my first keyboard - a little toy thing that refused to let you do chords but played a mean "frère jacques".  Then there was the organ, which I think Rabby and Bear Z picked up at auction, though they may well correct me.  When folded it would have made a nice rustic coffee table but it was set up in the lounge with a little stool and everything.  The organ would only play when you pumped air into it with the foot pedals at the bottom.  I remember I could never reach the pedals and sit and play so El Kenco would obligingly sit underneath the organ and pump the pedals with her hands.  Now that's sisterly dedication.  The keys on the organ were big, heavy and were slightly yellow in colour.  Some of the keys had little letters stuck onto them so that I could learn the notes.  I can't remember what I played - though I'm sure "frère jacques" was in there somewhere - but the memories of that organ are so clear in my mind.  I can picture the feel of it, the weight of the keys and the smell of ancient dust creeping from the wood.  I can remember that one of the pedals broke and El Kenco resorted to pumping one pedal and pulling at the other one so that she could ensure enough air was being circulated.  It was a beast of a thing but I loved playing it.  I wonder where it is now.  I shall have to investigate.  But now I have my keyboard and I still wander off to play a tune once in a while.  Luckily for El Kenco - or luckily for me - this one is powered through the magic of electricity so there is no pumping required.  Maybe one day I'll take the time to actually learn some music and expand my repertoire.  Then I can start a band.  And inflict myself on the music industry.  Maybe not.  But I still enjoy playing and would really like to improve my skill.  I feel I owe it to El Kenco to become a better musician!  

2 comments:

  1. You do seem very well organised!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dad bought that old church organ after I left him unattended at an auction! Sadly it went back to auction when we moved house. I tried to persuade him to buy me a trumpet and violin at Sunday's car boot but he refused...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...