Pages

30 January 2011

A Caravan Conundrum

It was one of those crazy hectic days at work yesterday that made me want to hide under my desk and escape home to a large glass of wine.  I never did make it under my desk but there was much wine drinking last night.  There was just all sorts going on and all sorts coming in and with little patience left after six weeks worth of school holidays I'm only just managing to smile.  Towards the end of the day, after explaining to small children the reason why you can't exchange 70c for a dollar coin, but before the snake catcher arrived to locate a red belly black snake, I was faced with what can only be described as a caravan conundrum.  A caravan conundrum with a tent on the side.  After sending a couple of folk down to find their spots for the night I was confused when I saw one of them drive back up to reception and march back up to the desk.  The man was angry.  Very angry.  He'd been driving all day, he was tired, he was hungry and he could not find his spot.  Now we normally have ground staff who show people to their sites, but apparently they'd not made it down there yet.  So I went down there.  I would find out what was going on.  So in my silly high heels, I clip clopped my way down through the park and into the camp and went searching for the empty spots we'd previously sent two people down to.  It was busy, there was no denying that, caravans and tents all over the place.  I was checking out the numbers, looking for the empty spots, only to be greeted by not one, but two massive caravans who had yet to move out.  Oh bugger.  On the computer these two massive caravans were not here.  But in the real world, these two massive caravans were here.  And they were in the way.  But they were on the move and that was the important thing.  I just needed to get them out nice and quick, move them to wherever they were moving to and get the new folk in.  Easier said than done when you've got two massive vans going one way, another massive van trying to come the other way and the tent folk quietly lurking in a corner watching the action.  No one wanted to reverse.  No one wanted to move.  We had a caravan stalemate with me stuck in the middle.  And the owners of the two massive vans were very friendly folk and thought the whole thing was great fun.  The angry owner of the other van was not so jolly and appeared to be seething with rage in his little green car.  Somehow I ended up directing three caravans - and the little tent dudes - hoping and praying that a ground staff member would arrive to rescue me.  Someone had to reverse, but no one was going to do that.  There was no way these vans were getting past one another.  The jolly folk wanted to go and speak to the angry man but I quickly intervened.  I was sensing a fight that I didn't want to be a part of.  So I worked between them, trying to keep everyone calm, offering suggestions, when I must confess I've never reversed a caravan.  In the end the angry dude reversed, zig zagging all over the place and the jolly folk were able to get their vans through.  It was at this point that a ground staff member arrived on a little golf buggy.  Having been out of reception for a good twenty minutes I decided it was time to hand things over.  The jolly folk had moved on, after a brief stop to remove a previously unremoved handbrake, the tent folk were still quietly lurking and the angry man was zig zagging his way back towards the now vacant spot.  I gave the ground staff member an update, quiet tent folk, angry man.  Good luck!  Then I hot footed it back to the safety of reception.  People might shout at me in there but at least no one's going to run me over with their caravan!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...