Pages

01 January 2011

What's Eating the Lemon Tree?

Stalky fans will know that I've recently started flexing my green fingers and have been nurturing a number of plants on my little balcony.  The lemon tree is the latest addition and he seems to be thriving in the Australian sun, already twice the size he was when we first acquired him.  The plants get a lot of attention from me and I like to check and make sure they're happy, so you can imagine my frustration when I realised something was chomping through my lemon tree!  The leaves had been suffering definite nibbling and I wasn't happy.  What nibbles a lemon tree?  A land dwelling shark?  No, this wasn't his style.  The pigeon?  I wasn't convinced.  I figured, more logically, that it was a bug of some description.  And I was right!  I'd noticed, on a couple of the leaves, what looked like bird poop.  A kind of brown and white splodge that made me think maybe the pigeon had been attacking the lemon tree, in his own unique way.  It was only when the poop moved that I realised it wasn't poop at all.  I grabbed myself a stick and gave the poop that wasn't poop a good poke and got a shock when I realised it was a particularly evil looking caterpillar!  I've always thought caterpillars were kind of cute with their furry little bodies and funky moves but this was no cute caterpillar.  This was a vicious looking thing with horns and possibly fangs.  And if I didn't know better I'd say that thing was giving me evils.  Never before have I seen such a mean looking caterpillar.  It was like the bad ass of caterpillars.  A horned caterpillar, disguising itself as poop.  So it was the caterpillars who were attacking my lemon tree.  Well this simply would not do.  I checked the plant for further poop that wasn't poop and discovered a total of four caterpillars who were busy feasting away.  I figured it would be simple enough for me to just flick them off the plant and send them on their way but no, these things were stuck in place.  They were gripping the plant so tightly - though with what I have no idea, little tiny caterpillar feet?! - and refused to move.  So I had to employ some force and a much bigger stick.  I was keen not to touch the horned beasts lest they bite me or head butt me or crawl on me so I made sure to keep them at arms length.  When I'd finally removed them all I had to leap back to the safety of the flat, fearful that they'd go for the ankles.  I've since checked on the lemon tree and they've yet to return so for now he's safe.  I informed Mystical Roo of the latest drama on the balcony and confessed that I had left the caterpillars on the balcony railing, assuming they would move on.  Mystical Roo suggested that they go next door.  That they might find a home on the bamboo plant that continues to shed it's leaves over my balcony.  That maybe they like bamboo.  That they'd be happier over there.  I considered my options and decided that Mystical Roo is actually quite devious!  I haven't inflicted the caterpillars on next door.  In fact, I don't know where the caterpillars have gone.  I imagine they're regrouping and plotting their next assault.  All is quiet on the balcony but I don't think this is the last we'll hear from them.

3 comments:

  1. A little washing-up liquid in the water when you next use your leopard-skin watering can; and Bruce's your uncle. That usually keeps them clear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should exterminate them, otherwise they will find their way back to the lemon tree. Or take them for a swim in the sea...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Washing up liquid in water eh? I will have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...