Pages

02 January 2011

Little Stalky & Mystcal Roo Go Camping

I have returned!  And so has Mystical Roo.  And we made it back with only minor mayhem.  I must say we were blessed with the most wonderful weather for our camping trip and continue to enjoy clear blue skies and sunshine even now.  We found our way to an isolated beach, which was like something right out of a film.  It was simply picture perfect.  A long stretch of golden sand.  Crystal clear, sapphire blue water.  And all of this was flanked by sprawling bushland, which stretched out into mountainous headland, covered in palms and gum trees.  It was just beautiful.  After a spot of lunch we decided it was time for a swim and so found ourselves an empty bit of beach.  There were a few others enjoying the beach and there were even lifeguards on duty!  We passed a fisherman who, much to my horror was in the process of reeling in a huge salmon.  I'm scared of fish.  Unreasonably terrified of them from the smallest minnow to the biggest shark.  I strongly dislike them.  So when the fisherman picked his fish up in his arms I totally freaked out.  It turns out the fisherman was going to put him back in the water but just wanted a photograph with his catch.  Monster Noggin kindly obliged and took a picture of the fisherman and his fish whilst I watched on in wide eyed horror.  The fish was then returned to the ocean, but refused to move his fishy butt back into the surf and kept getting washed up on the shore.  There was much squealing on my part when he flopped up near our feet.  I think he was seeking me out.  The fisherman grabbed his fishy friend and waded out with him, holding him in the water before releasing him.  This time he did get his fishy butt back out there and we watched him disappear.  I then had to reconsider my swim, knowing that beasty salmon were in the vicinity.  But I did swim.  We frolicked in the waves, playing catch and attempting to body surf.  I did manage to catch a few waves before washing up, face first on the beach, rolling over with a bikini full of sand.  After much fun in the sun we returned to the grass to cook up some dinner.  Mystical Roo, clever fellow that he is, had cooked up some curry for us to have.  We had a little camping stove and shared out curry, rice, naan bread and even mango chutney.  So organised!  Hunger sated and with the sun going down we returned to the sand to set up for the night and spent the evening talking, listening to music and setting up random photographs of us in mid jump.  Somehow this is the funniest thing ever.  When midnight arrived we had a paddle in the sea - apparently one has to have their feet in water at the stroke of midnight - and returned to share a bottle of bubbly.  We were even treated to some fireworks, a faraway display in Wollongong and one that took place right on the beach.  We didn't last much after that and returned to our "beds" on the sand and under the stars.  We'd seen the sun set and then that morning we awoke to watch the sun rise, highlighting the beauty of the beach on which we'd slept.  That was the first thing I saw in 2011 so I'd say it was a pretty good start.  

1 comment:

  1. I feel guilty for not doing something more imaginative with my New Year now. (I did actually suggest driving up to Trafalgar Square but Rabby did not think it was a good idea!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...