Pages

05 January 2011

Sleepy Stalky

Sometimes I find it really hard to motivate myself to get out of bed.  Whilst some mornings I'm up with the sun and bouncing out to water the plants, other days I'm just so snug and warm and comfortable and for some reason, after hours of sleep, still feel exhausted that the last thing I want to do is shuffle from the bed.  This morning was one of those mornings.  Yet, feeling totally shattered and perhaps even a little grumpy - me? grumpy? Never! - it felt like everything in the world was determined to wake me up.  Firstly it's the bin men, who come out at the crack of dawn to do their thing.  Fine.  Ok.  They have a job to do and, well, they're up earlier than me.  What I don't get is how I still see them out and about whilst I'm walking to work.  Couldn't I be one of the units which get the later visit rather than the early morning one?  No? The trouble is, our bedroom is next to the road and living above a hairdresser and next to a restaurant, when bin day comes there's a whole line up of bins right outside of our window.  And all I can here is the bin truck slamming and whirring and churning and...reversing?  Bin lids are slamming shut, things are going clunk and I'm laying in bed wishing the noise would please go away.  And it does.  But then it's replaced with the road sweeper.  Oh road sweeper.  Every morning he comes round.  Every morning he wakes me up.  Again, I can't complain (but I will).  It's good that our town is being looked after.  I think that our bit of road is being very well looked after.  With the clunking and clanking of various machines doing their early morning bit the birds then decide they want a bit of the action.  The Johns will start singing away and then, not to be undone, the kookaburra will burst into fits of laughter.  Then the surfers are heading down to the beach, or back from the beach, chattering away and laughing, full of inexplicable energy at the crack of dawn.  So it's not even 6am and there's a chorus outside that seems to be demanding that I wake up.  And I'm thinking no, I don't want to, I want to sleep.  The alarm hasn't demanded my attention yet so no, I won't get out of bed.  I'm grumpy and sleepy and in that moment feel like I want to stay in bed all day.  Then, just when I feel like I'm getting used to the noise, when I can feel myself relaxing and drifting back into dreamland, when the bed is at it's most comfortable, the alarm goes off.  And I can't argue with the alarm.  Especially not when I've got work.  So I'm feeling pretty groggy.  But maybe the walk to work will perk me up.  If not, it might take me a while to get there. 

3 comments:

  1. Someone has been saboutaging my alarm clock - you know my lumi light "wake you up gently" clock? Someone who thinks it goes off too early. Trouble is, I like my alarm to go off at the crack of dawn so that I have the satisfaction of switching it off, turning over and going back to sleep! Zzzzzzzz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just be grateful that you don't live above a crock infested river as well. My daughter, in Rockhampton, now lives on her own small island.

    Barmy Army... Bar (Stop it Cro; they've already won the series).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mystical Roo is off to Sydney to watch the cricket today

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...