Pages

08 January 2011

A New Nemesis

I have another new nemesis.  Is it wrong for one person to have so many nemesisses?  And what is the plural for nemesis?  Is it nemesi?  Maybe the spell checker will tell me.  Maybe not.  Any hoo, for a generally timid and non confrontational sort of girl I do have a lot of nemesi.  My new nemesis?  A small child.  Is it wrong for one's nemesis to take the form of a small child?  I don't care.  If the child is capable of being one's nemesis, they're capable of earning the title nemesis.  In fact, I'm probably as much a nemesis to her as she is to me.  So, small child, or rather, young girl, or rather, little diva in the making.  This one girl somehow manages to plague me at work.  I have to wonder, when the sun is shining, there's the beach, the pool, the playground and various other activities, why this girl wants to spend so much time hanging out in reception.  To plague me!  That's why.  Now I get used to people asking me things, wanting things, it's part of my job, but this girl just demands things and when she doesn't get them she throws a tantrum.  If she wants a $20 changed into dollar coins they have to come in a baggie.  Otherwise she tuts and rolls her eyes.  She handed me her entry for the colouring in competition, making it very clear that the second one, wasn't hers, it definitely wasn't hers, it really wasn't hers.  I smiled politely, thanked her for her entry, even complimented her work.  Then I returned the entry to the appropriate box and returned to work.  My nemesis stomped over to a colleague to demand why "she" - that would be me - had just "dumped" her entry into a box.  And why "she" - me again - hadn't made any effort to remove her drawing from her friends.  The friend whose work she was so ashamed of.  She was informed that was the correct box for colouring in competitions.  And that if she had her name on her work then we'd be able to identify it.  She was placated and left.  But not before turning to give me evils!  Evils!  Yesterday she came in to demand a band aid (that's a plaster) for her younger brother.  Actually not just one, but two.  I need two band aids for my brother.  She doesn't know please or thank you.  Regardless, I'm not allowed to give out band aids.  Who knows what trouble a person can get into nowadays, giving out a band aid to a child.  You gave my child a band aid?  How very dare you?!  They're allergic.  They stuck it to their face.  They ate it.  Either way, it's your fault.  So again, politely, I informed the little madam that she would need to ask her mum and dad to get one or ask her mum and dad to give her one.  The parents should have one anyway.  She glared at me, tried to argue her point and then went storming out.  Last year she came in to report that her scooter had been stolen.  Stolen!  Well, I would fill out a report for her and hope that it was retrieved.  That wasn't good enough for her.  I had to find it now.  We needed to get everyone out looking for it.  We had to make posters!  Her rant was thwarted only when a friend came in to advise her that she'd left her scooter outside the cafe.  Not stolen.  Not even lost.  Just forgotten.  What I want to know is why this girl seems to target me.  It's like she waits for me before bombarding me with random tantrums.  I've never seen such diva like behaviour.  I must say, I've never seen the parents either so maybe that explains something.  But honestly, this child is like nine years old or something.  I have a nine year old nemesis.  And she hates me!  Maybe it's because I'm English.  Who knows.  All I know is that you can't retaliate against a nine year old.  In future if I see her coming I think I'll nip out back.  And hide!  

2 comments:

  1. Get in touch with the child-catcher. I'm sure you'll find their number in the yellow pages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you have a drawer somewhere marked 'Undetectable Poisons'?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...