Pages

20 January 2011

Whipping Out the Wellies

I was on my lonesome last night, home alone because Mystical Roo is away on business.  After spending the evening with Monster Noggin I returned home to a dark and empty house and for some reason my mind went into overdrive, determined to freak me out.  I don't particularly like it when Mystical Roo has to go away but I get on with it and am normally ok, but last night I managed to work myself into a right state.  The house seemed darker than normal and I kept hearing noises.  Just the house settling. Just the rain on the roof.  No, no.  Somehow I'm convinced it's much more likely that there's someone in the house.  Someone has broken into the house, leaving not a trace and is lurking in the shadows.  I was eyeing everything suspiciously.  Did I leave that door open?  Was the drawer slightly ajar when I left this morning?  The trouble is, when I start down this route I find it very hard to stop and before I know it my mind is imagining all sorts of terrifying scenarios and I can't close my eyes without seeing the Bogey man!  I was scared to go from room to room, convinced that someone was going to grab me.  I had to turn out the lights in the landing before going to bed and I was scared to turn my back on the darkness, lest something reach out to me from the gloom.  I actually ran to the bedroom and shut the door.  With the door shut nothing can sneak up on me.  But then I wondered about something lurking under the bed.  Something lurking under the bed?  What am I?  Like five or something.  But still.  I hopped into bed and decided it would be unwise to dangle an arm or a leg over the side.  You never know what might be waiting...an under the bed monster, a land dwelling, bedroom stalking, under the bed hiding shark, a giant dust bunny.  Ooh bunnies.  Anyway, I decided I'd not read my spooky book before going to sleep.  Not a good idea.  So I played a game of poker on my phone - as you do - and went to sleep cuddling Mr Moose.  Don't worry, Mystical Roo is well aware that Mr Moose shares my bed when he's away.  Mr Moose looks after me.  So I managed to drift off to a peaceful sleep and the nervous feeling that someone was in the house slowly disappeared.  But then, in the middle of the night, I was very rudely awaken by the loudest thunder in the world.  Ever!  It was so loud I think I practically fell out of bed.  I awoke with a gasp, wide eyed and frantic, imagining someone had let off a bomb or something.  Then, when I'd come out of my sleepy stupor I identified the thunder for what it was and reached for Mr Moose for comfort.  Honestly, this was the loudest thunder I'd ever heard in my life.  The sound was deafening and it rumbled on and on and on and on....I was genuinely scared and I have no idea why.  Maybe it was because I was on my own in the middle of the night.  But it really freaked me out and I had to stop myself from grabbing the phone and calling someone.  It turns out that pretty much everyone else was awake too so I don't think I would have disturbed anyone.  I could have even called England, what with it being the middle of the day and all.  But I cuddled my Mr Moose and listened as heavy rain pummelled the flat.  Then I thought about my plants!  I hoped they were ok and not getting hit too hard by heavy drops of rain.  But they seem to be made of tougher stuff.  They've survived worse.  I finally got back to sleep again and woke up to sunshine and blue skies.  It was like it had all been a dream.  But I knew it wasn't.  Mystical Roo phoned to say good morning and I told him about my scary night.  He was pleased to hear the Mr Moose had been taking care of me.  After chatting to Mystical Roo I went to go and get some breakfast and check on the plants.  The first thing I noticed was a reflection of sunlight shining on the ceiling.  It was rippling in a way that makes you think of water.  A lot of water.  I looked outside and saw that the balcony had majorly flooded.  Flooded to the point where it was practically coming through the door.  I stared wide eyed and decided there was only one thing I could do.  Grab the leopard print wellies and unclog the drain.  So, first thing this morning I was stood on my balcony wearing my nightgown, leopard print wellies, holding a broom and up to my ankles in water.  It was the worst flooding the balcony has experienced and the drain was totally clogged.  My watering cans were floating around and a rogue plant pot was also bobbing around in the water.  I pulled out handful after handful of muck and watched as the water started to recede.  Armed with my trusty broom I did some sweeping to get rid of the mud that had also come with the rain.  I also found a dollar and five cents so that was a find!  I was out there for a good ten minutes, all the time hoping none of the neighbours would look out the window, and by the time I'd finished you wouldn't have known there'd been a flood.  In fact, if the neighbours had looked out at that point they would have just seen that weird English girl in wellies, a nightgown, holding a broom.  I'm going to have to do something about this drain blocking though.  Another inch and the water would have been in the living room.  But as I said, now the sun is shining and the skies are blue.  I just hope I can keep that in mind when I'm on my bill tonight.  If not, that broom might well have to come indoors so that I can arm myself.  Intruders beware, I have a broom and I'm not afraid to use it!  

4 comments:

  1. Take your biggest carving knife, smother it in ketchup, and leave it on the ground outside your front door. I guarantee no-one will break in. In fact, anyone who's already in will be wanting to break out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I don't have ketchup, will mayonnaise work?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doh! (Pleased to hear that Mr Moose is looking after you in Mr Roo's absence.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can vouch that it was indeed the loudest thunder EVER! i nearly reached for the teddy sat on shelf however the conjured worse thoughts of what spiders may be lurking on teddy! so I cuddled my pillow!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...