Pages

31 January 2011

A Rare Sighting

I saw something today, whilst walking home from work, that I haven't seen in rather a long time.  Well not in real life anyway.  I've seen them on TV, read about them in books, even discussed them on the phone with El Kenco.  But what is this rare beast upon which I stumbled whilst jogging home from work.  Furry.  Stripy.  With a long tail and pointy ears.  Four paws.  About the size of a cat.  Actually, it was a cat.  A cat.  Such a common thing to see whilst in England.  In fact we used to have one, dubbly named Brian, who tried to get in through an old cat flap the previous owners had fitted.  Cats were everywhere.  But here a cat is an unusual sight.  You don't see them lounging in driveways, or sitting on cars, perching on walls or sleeping in the sun.  You just don't see them anywhere.  In fact, the very few times I have seen a cat in this country they've been skulking around the drains before disappearing down into them.  Drain dwelling cats, that's what we have here.  It's like they've been relegated to vermin, hiding in the sewers with the rats and crocodiles.  And sewer dwelling sharks.  So when I saw a tabby cat hidden under the shade of a tree it actually took me by surprise.  I actually consciously thought about how unusual it was to see a cat, and how I must blog about it upon my return!  Which I now have.  So there you have it.  A rare cat sighting here in the land of Oz. 

4 comments:

  1. Whilst the cat's away, the rats will play. In fact they've played so much that they've grown into the size of Kangaroos.

    I have a Tabby. He's sensibly named Freddie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking out the window and I can see two black and three tortoiseshell cats in the courtyard. They all seem to get on very well. And there's a Persian looking out of next door's window.

    When we go back to France we won't see any cats apart from when Monsieur Escalier's big farm cat comes down the lane to terrorise the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There used to be that sinister cat that lived opposite us. The one that was always in the window where the curtains were never open but never quite closed. It used to just stare...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...