Pages

27 January 2011

Stay Safe in the Sea

We've had some rough sea of late and it always reminds me how careful you have to be when out in the ocean.  You never know where dangerous rips might appear, or giant waves.  The other day Ammy and I were in the sea, aware of how rough it looked and so decided to just paddle in the shallows.  Well honestly, we were only up to our shins in water and the waves were going over our heads!  It was crazy.  We were having great fun in inches of water, getting bowled over and washed up against the sand.  That was good, but I had to wonder about the people much further out, especially the kids.  I wouldn't have wanted to go up to my waist in the sea that day but you had others who were up to their necks.  Scary stuff.  I appreciate the fact that the beach is patrolled.  The surf rescue team are always on the ball and watch the beach goers like hawks.  I've seen a number of rescues on various beaches and it always seems that the life savers will see someone in trouble before the person even realises it themselves.  There's something reassuring about that, knowing that they're watching.  But you should never just assume that just because they're there it makes you safe.  You could still get into serious trouble.  What I can't get my head around is the people who go diving into the sea when the beach is closed.  If it's closed, it's closed for a reason.  Huge waves.  Massive rips.  Shark sightings.  If the beach is closed, don't go for a swim.  You numpty.  It's not like the life savers are just shutting it to go home early.  They still have to sit and watch the beach.  Because they know that numpties will still go for a swim and get themselves stuck.  Then the actual life saving boat has to go out.  Numpties.  I like to think that I'm cautious in the sea, some might say over cautious, some might say chicken, but I figure it's better to be safe than sorry.  I don't go out of my depth, I swim between the flags and I keep my wits about me in case I come across a land dwelling shark that has, for reasons unknown, decided to become an ocean dweller.  You can never be too careful.

3 comments:

  1. I've always tried to live by the maxim 'Safety Last'. Much more fun.. if a tad dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should wear your inflatable water wings at all times.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...