Pages

22 December 2010

Bad Hair Day

One of the reasons I like to keep my hair long is because it's low maintenance.  If it stops behaving itself then I can just chuck it in a pony tail and forget about it for the day.  So when I went to get my hair cut and decided to get a bit of a fringe I have to wonder what the hell I was thinking.  After 25 years I should really know my hair a bit better.  It's thick, it's wavy and it doesn't react well to heat or humidity.  So the fringe might look lovely when I leave the hairdressers, after the professionals have been at it, but it refuses to be tamed by my inexperienced hand.  I've never been that "in" to hair so I'm the worst possible person to try and tame a fringe.  Again.  What was I thinking.  Being the low maintenance type of girl that I am - though Mystical Roo might disagree - I wash my hair and let it dry naturally.  Unless it's a special occasion I rarely bother drying it with a hair dryer and don't even own that much product.  My hair generally agrees with naturally drying and I get that kind of beachy look, which works rather well when living next to the beach.  But the fringe?  The fringe does not like to dry naturally.  It doesn't like it at all.  The fringe in question is one of those kind of side sweeping things but my hair doesn't seem to want to fall in that direction.  The first thing I did when getting ready for work this morning was  straighten the fringe.  That will sort it out.  No it bloody well won't.  Not at all.  In fact, all it seemed to do was create static electricity and the fringe just stuck out.  It wouldn't fall to one side, it just stuck out straight ahead.  It looked ridiculous.  It's ok, I told myself, it would settle down.  But it didn't.  It was just kind of hovering there like a floating fringe, taunting me with it's flyaway hair.  Gah!  So I walked around for a bit holding the fringe, hoping to trick it into staying put.  But the fringe was having none of it.  It flatly refused.  I returned to the hair straighteners and whilst attacking the fringe, remembered a scene from the Bridget Jones films.  Bad hair?  Whatever you do, don't iron it.  Bugger.  With time running out before I was due to leave the house I was desperate for a solution and somehow decided that hairspray would be a good idea.   I would stick it in place.  Spray it into submission.  Or...not.  Hair spraying a fringe that is already sticking out does nothing more than make it more stubborn.  It was simply a more solid version of the previous version.  It became even more unmanageable.  I tried brushing out the hairspray but that did nothing more than separate the fringe into stringy, solid, sticky out pieces.  Awful.  I didn't even have a hairband to wear because I'd snapped it and forgotten to replace it.  Worst hair day ever and no time.  Then I remembered that Monster Noggin had once mentioned about having to blow dry a fringe into place.  You have to force it into place with heat and air.  Heat and air!  So, to the bathroom.  I washed the fringe, rinsed all of the hairspray out of it and rushed back into the bedroom.  Grab the hairdryer and blow dry it into place.  It actually appeared to be working and my make up was only melting slightly.  Blow drying alone creates major fluffy hair but it was in the right place.  Did I dare straighten it too?  I did dare.  And it was ok.  The fringe was in position.  The fringe was defluffed.  But my God it was a lot of effort.  I walked to work and promised myself I would never get a fringe again.  Too much hard work!

2 comments:

  1. I was born in England's finest county of Surrey. My sister was known as 'The girl from Surrey with the fringe on top'.

    Actually, I just made that up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha-ha! Definitely fringe humour Cro! (Stalky - you will need to refer to songs from musical Oklahoma).

    In the 60's girls definitely resorted to irons and sellotape to get that sleek, straight hair that was so part of the 'look'. I just hated my curls!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...